Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 21st, 2009 11:00

Dell 2330D does not follow print margin or font guidelines.

I just replaced a failing HP LaserJet with this Dell 2300D.  I removed the existing drivers, loaded the Dell drivers and plugged the unit in.  Since then, nothing I print is of the same font size or margin preferences from the HP printer.

Because of this the print goes outside of the margins set by the printer.  Unfortunately it seems the software does not have a margin preference.    I find it odd that my HP printer printed PERFECTLY for years, and suddenly this Dell prints a larger font that blows out my margins.

Has anyone any suggestions?

If you want to see there results:

The first two pages of this scan are from the 2330D, the second 2 are from my HP 1320.  You can see the Dell prints everything larger and seems to be in some sort of 'zoom' mode.

http://rcpt.yousendit.com/729147997/b444b51eaebb986518e451a1e2bf0f41

9 Posts

August 24th, 2009 09:00

Anyone here? 

1.7K Posts

August 24th, 2009 12:00

Not sure if you tried this or not..... I've encountered similar situations when transitioning from one printer to another. One way I found to resolve this is to open the document and re-format the document with the new printer installed and set as your default printer. For instance, if a Word doc, open it it using word, check the doc layout, and re-save.

(couldn't open your link..... my browser blocked it as unsafe for some reason)

1.7K Posts

August 24th, 2009 13:00

An after-thought comment..... Since PCL is actually an HP product, just about everyone else has to "emulate" PCL. Some do better than others. It could be that you are sending a file that has commands in its data-stream that the 2330d does not support.

9 Posts

August 25th, 2009 12:00

Regarding your first reply: There's no formatting options in this particular software, it's not a word document it's a report coming out of some proprietary HP/Agilent software.

My next attempt would be to tell the PC that this 2330d is infact a LaserJet 4 and see if it'll write out PCL properly.

1.7K Posts

August 25th, 2009 12:00

I'll practically guarantee that's the problem. The "report" has embedded PCL commands that the 2330d does not recognize.

Good luck with your experiment, I hope it works for you.

9 Posts

August 27th, 2009 07:00

Well, unfortunately Dell seems to think the printer is fine. They won't let me return it without a 15% restock fee.

1.7K Posts

August 28th, 2009 06:00

To clarify..... HP "owns" PCL. All other manufacturers can do is emulate PCL. Sometimes they get most of it emulated, sometimes not. The file you are printing on your HP printer worked because PCL is native to HP printers. That file will probably work on HP's entire product line. Unless the application that originally generated that file is used to generate a new file with a "non-HP" printer, you can expect these results.

In other words, the 2330d is not defective, you're trying to force code into it that it doesn't completely recognize.

No Events found!