Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 20th, 2013 09:00

Dell 5100 Printer won't print at all after installing.

I accidentally uninstalled my Dell 5100cn PCL6 printer from the Devices and Printers window and reinstalled it. But now it does not print, and hasn't even printed the test page.

I reinstalled it in the same window by right clicking and choosing add printer. I chose "Add local printer" since it is connected directly to my computer via printer cable. I selected "Use driver that's currently installed (recommended)".

I have used Windows Update to check for any driver updates for the printer but found none. Driver seems up to date.

I still see the "Test Page" Status: "printing" when looking at "See what's printing" after right clicking on the printer, but there is no activity or any kind coming from the printer.

Other people in my office have been able to print on it.

I have Windows 7.

Please help! I have no idea why it's not printing!

2 Posts

November 21st, 2013 09:00

Alright, I got it working! It looks like I picked the wrong Printer Port.

Initially I left the Printer port as the default choice which was "LPT1: (Printer Port)".
I uninstalled it and removed all trace of the printer driver for the 5100cn. Then I decided to choose the "USB001 (Virtual printer port for USB)" printer port option since it is hooked up to my computer via USB and it printed successfully.
No Events found!