Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 28th, 2009 13:00

Dell 810 All-In-One-Printer owners thread

Please follow the instructions below and then tell me what happens.

First, let's make sure your computer has the latest Windows Updates, especially .net framework, needed to run many applications and the latest Java.

Disconnect your printer. Download and run this patch (Patch must be run on Vista machines) to completely remove the printer from your computer. Run the patch until it prompts you to restart your computer.

If using Windows 7 also try...Manual Printer Driver Removal

Restart your computer.

Download the proper drivers.

XP Drivers

Vista 32-bit Drivers 

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

Vista 64-bit Drivers

All other drivers

Install the proper drivers. You'll be prompted when to connect your printer(powered on)

***To install drivers, sometimes the file unzips and does nothing. You have to look for the setup.exe file, right click on it, then left click run as administrator***

If using Windows 7, use the Vista drivers in the compatibility mode. 

Right click on the setup.exe file, left click properties, left click compatibility. Change the compatibility to Vista(Try Vista ONLY). Then install the proper drivers. You'll be prompted when to connect the printer(powered on)

***To install drivers, sometimes the file unzips and does nothing. You have to look for the setup.exe file, right click on it, then left click run as administrator***

As for scanning, if you have the disk that came with the printer, then insert the Printer disk and stop it from running. Go to My Computer and double click on it. Look for the drive with the Dell disk in it. Right click on it, left click explore. Look for the OCR Folder. In the OCR Folder, there is an Abbyy Folder. right click on setup.exe, that's in the Abbyy Folder and left click run as administrator. This will install the OCR program.

Scanning

Scanning using USB connection, open the Dell All-In-One Center, click on scanning and copying and scan from there.

Scanning wirelessly, use the scan buttons on the printer.

Rick

29 Posts

December 15th, 2009 20:00

I also could not print or scan and got the following window staring to pop up around Nov 18/09 which I attributed to perhaps some Windows Updates or Kasperksy Interenet 2010 Updates :

When I did restores to Nov 16/08 everything worked fine, but it seems as soon as the updates were installed I wound up with the same problem. I then tried to work backward and uninstalled KIS which resulted in the printer and scanner working until I shut the computer or rebooted and got the same message on startup. I then disabled windows defender  and windows firewall with the result of both the printing and scanning working until I rebooted. To ensure I had some protection I downloaded AVG and Malwarebytes and enabled Windows Defender and Firewall. I was also getting other pop-up messages during this whole process as follows including "Data Execution Prevention:

I finally found out about the Dell update driver and when I downloaded the patch(Dell CleanUpUtility)  and driver(R145903) I was still getting the above messages and only realized after about the 4th time that when the window popped up asking whether I had a disk, I would insert it, which meant I was only reinstalling the old driver. When you get that window just close it so that you are only installing the new downloaded driver. As it turns out both the printer and driver are now working and I did not have to insert the disk to install the ABBYY Finereader  6.0 Sprint as it appears it never got uninstalled. I did did notice that the AIO desktop was different than the old one for a while but eventually changed to the old icon. Note that the Dell CleanUpUtility will also uninstall Dell Dock, however, that can be reinstalled from the following site:  http://www.delldock.com/

I would have provided my input sooner, but I when I got the printer and scanner working I wanted to see if it was stable and working for at at least a couple of days. I should also mention that I have disabled automatic Windows Updates as I believe that is what caused the printer/scanner problems to begin with and will decide which updates I will download and install as I receive notice of same. I still have not reinstalled KIS 2010, but I may do this after a few more days just to see whether I can still print and scan, that is, to see if there are issues besides KIS that is creating the problem. So...try doing the patch and driver install as per PudgyOne instructions above, but remember, do not insert your AIO 810 driver disk, CANCEL THE WINDOW WHEN IT POPS UP. Let me know if it works...if not...keep in touch. I should let you know that I probably spent close to 60 hours trying to get mine to work as I believe there is always a way. I have also done a number of other things, but I will not get into that at this time until you do the Patch and Install of the download driver as I am not sure if at any point you used your AIO 810 disk.

29 Posts

December 16th, 2009 08:00

SurfyMark...the Dell CleanUpUtility is what I call the patch that is used to uninstall the driver, etc. as that is what it was referred to by a Dell Techy, but when you download it it  will probably be named R166125. Just to cover some bases...you indicate that your computer is new so was the AIO already installed on your computer or did you install it? Did the printer/scanner ever work on your new computer and then just quit like mine did or is this the first time that you are trying to get it to work?

Since you indicate that you managed to scan half a page it appears the scanner software is installed and perhaps the printer software, but can you check the following for me...Click "Start" > Type Dell AIO 810 in the search box, does Dell AIO 810 file folder show up under files, if it does then click on it and it should take you to the Dell AIO 810 folder in Programs > within that folder shown right under it should be 2 folders: driver and install. Also on the right side you should have a number of files with one of them being GLCGaiox. The window should look similar to this although I am not showing all the files here:

Once  you confirm the answers to these questions, this may start to lead us into the right direction as to the next step.

29 Posts

December 16th, 2009 15:00

So if the CPU is new and printer 3 years old  just let me know how the Dell AIO 810 was installed on your computer:

1) Was it already there?

2) Did you install it?...or

3) Is this the first time you are trying to install it?

Having the original disks may help at some point ...but do the following at this point (I don't know what your computer knowledge is at this point so I am going to assume you know how get to where I want you to go. I also  am going to assume you download the patch and driver as per PudgyOne instructions, if so then do the following. This will not affect the overall  operation of your computer as they can always be reset to the previous settings:

Check the setting of the properties of your computer and ensure that it shows as a USB connection as below:

Then check the following and see if it the radio buttons are clicked as shown below in the properties of the printer:

4) Bring up your control panel; click on Admininstrative Tools(Not sure what it is in Windows7); click on Services; then scroll down to "Print Spooler" and do a  one click on it to highlight it; then on the left hand side click on restart. This may get the spooler working as may also seem to be the problem at this point.

5) Try to print and scan at this point.

6) If neither work, do a restart and  try to print and scan again.

7) I should also mention the following which you should also do:

a) Click Start and type in spool in the search area and do a sea4rch; in the programs area click on spool; then click on PRINTERS; the right hand side should have no files in it; if there are any files delete because these are only print files that have not been printed.

Let me know how this works. As I said, what you do here will not affect the overall operation of your computer. If the printer/scammer still do not work, then restart the computer as that  may kick in the new instructions.

Although you are operating Windows 7, using Windows XP as Compatibility when downloading the driver may work. I can only tell that alot of this is trial and error as  even a Dell Techy with whom I spent about 2 hours with and who took control of my computer could not get the printer and scanner working and instructed me to reinstall my operating system which I refused to do...and behold I still managed to get the printer/scanner working.  I should mention that I got the  scanner working before I got the  printer working, so try scanning a few times to see if i t works. As I mentioned before it probably took me over 60 hours of trial and error to get the Dell AIO 810  working, but now it is working with no problems. I have checked out other forums and there are numerous printer problems that exist with all makes so don't get discouraged as getting a new printer may  not help either. Further, although I have a Dell AIO 810, I also have an EPSON STYLUS COLOR 880 PRINTER which I have been using for over 6 years and have not had any problems printing after getting a proper download when I got my new Dell Inspiron 530 with Windows Vista operating system, which told me that it was a software  problem with the Dell AIO 810. Keep me informed after you  do the above.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

November 28th, 2009 13:00

Unplug the printer from the wall. Now remove the power brick from the back of the printer. Wait 60 seconds, then plug the printer back in. This resets any error messages the printer is getting.

Power the printer on. Open up the printer and take out the Black Dell Series 6 ink cartridge. Make sure there is no tape on it and reseat the Dell series 6 ink cartridge. Now do the same for the Colou Dell Series 6 ink cartridge. When you close the printer, it should print an alignment page on its own. Any error messages?

Black cartridge = Black side(left side)          Color Cartridge = Color side(right side)

Photo cartridge = black side(left side)         Color cartridge = Color side(right side)

Dell Series 6 ink cartridges have a sensor in them and cannot be refilled. Article on refilling Dell ink cartridges

Dell Series 6 ink cartridges can be purchased from Staples, Walmart or Dell's Website.

It is also possible to get a new ink cartridge with a bad sensor. Please take it to the place of purchase for a replacement one.

Rick

8 Posts

December 12th, 2009 15:00

I have tried this step but when I download the driver it says there are no files to download. I have went to Best Buy where I bought the computer and they told me to get a recovery disk from Dell and format my computer again. Any other suggestions? I tried a Lexmark printer that I had and it acted like it would work but I think it was out of ink. It didn't have the same problems as the Dell 810.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

December 12th, 2009 16:00

kolin_21,

What is the make and model of your computer and operating system? I just tried to download the drivers and they downloaded for me. Did you recently make any changes to your computer?

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

December 13th, 2009 12:00

firstdown,

Just try disconnecting your printer. Then run the patch until it prompts you to restart your computer.

Restart your computer.

Install the Vista 32-bit drivers. The file might just unzip and sit there. Look for the setup.exe file in the folers, right click on it, then left click run as administrator. You should then be able to follow the instructions. It will prompt you that the printer is not connected. Connect the printer at this time.

Rick

29 Posts

December 13th, 2009 12:00

Although I have downloaded the patch and updated driver from Dell  a couple of times I note that you indicate to choose compatibility mode of Vista, but that option is not provided in properties so I have been using Windows XP as the compatibility mode as that is the mode that the printer worked on up until Nov 18-09. How do I get Vista as an option for compatilibity mode or is that possible as I would like to once again reinstall the driver and see if I can get the printer working. I should mention that the scanner is working, but not the printer as I keep getting the following message: Printer Status Window Interface has Stopped Working.

The following are the specs of my PC:

Windows Vista Home Premium, Service Pack 2; Inspiron 530, Intel Core 2 Quad Processor, 32-bit operating system.

6 Posts

December 14th, 2009 01:00

Hi there!

I have tried everything above and have also enabled bidirectional support.

I have Windows 7 32bit so I ran the installer in compatibility mode with Vista 32bit drivers.

Attempting to print a test page gives me an error message saying that the computer cannot communicate with the printer.

I also tried scanning from the All in One centre. It scanned half the page correctly and then errored saying that it had lost communication.

Any advice you can give me?

thanks

Mark

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

December 14th, 2009 13:00

Mark,

When you tried to install the Vista 32-bit drivers, you did ude the compatibility mode this way, correct?

Right click on the setup.exe file, left click properties, left click compatibility. Change the compatibility to Vista. Then install the proper drivers. You'll be prompted when to connect the printer(powered on)

Rick

6 Posts

December 15th, 2009 00:00

Yes I did follow those exact instructions.

I actually didn't do this the first time. But I then uninstalled everything and removed the printer and tried again, this time following the compatibility instructions you have copied above. The result was exactly the same as the first time.

Many thanks

Mark

6 Posts

December 16th, 2009 01:00

Hi Firstdown and thanks for this information.

The screenshot you have put at the top of your message is exactly what I am getting.

Now looking at your description, I have not run this patch Dell CleanUpUtility. Can someone provide a link for this please as I don't recall reading about this before.

I have not used the disk that came with my AIO 810 (I am not sure where it is so definitely haven't done this. In fact this is a brand new machine so it has never even seen this disk!)

I will try removing everything and using the Dell Cleanup Utility as that may help me here.

I think Dell will need to provide a new driver for this eventually

thanks

Mark

8 Posts

December 16th, 2009 14:00

It is a Dell Inspiron with Windows 7. The computer is brand new but I am still using the old monitor and the printer is three years old.

6 Posts

December 17th, 2009 01:00

Hi Firstdown.

I have just replaced my aged old XP Pro machine with a Shiny new Dell Inspiron with Windows 7. The AIO 810 was working fine on the old machine but has never worked on my new machine.

When I first got the machine, I just plugged the printer in. It did some self-installation and I just assumed it had worked without trying it. I then tried to print something a few days later and it didn't work. So I removed the printer, downloaded the single driver file and installed it properly. When this still didn't work I uninstalled and reinstalled. That is as far as I have got so far and it still isn't working.

I am not at the machine right now so I will try what you have said when I get home this evening.

Huge thanks for your help this far

Mark

6 Posts

December 18th, 2009 05:00

Firstdown you are a genius!!

Dell you need to employ this guy!

So I did the following (and therefore these are the definitive steps to getting the AIO 810 working on Windows 7 32 Bit as far as I am concerned):

1. Unplugged and turned off the printer (including unplugging the USB lead from the PC.

2. Removed the device from within the Printers window.

3. Rebooted.

4. Went to the Dell Folder within my Start -> Programs menu and ran the Uninstall application from within there.

5. Rebooted.

6. Downloaded and ran the Dell Cleanup Utility R166125 (can be found here: http://support.euro.dell.com/support/downloads/download.aspx?c=uk&l=en&s=gen&releaseid=R166125&formatcnt=2&libid=0&typeid=-1&dateid=-1&formatid=-1&fileid=224411)

7. Rebooted.

8. Downloaded and ran the correct Vista 32 Printer Driver file R145903. When I ran this it unzipped some files then opened a File Explorer window at their new location. Once in there I went to the Properties of the Setup.exe file and the Compatibility tab. I set this to Windows Vista (not the Service Pack 1 or 2 line just Windows Vista). I then double-clicked the Setup.exe to install the software.

9. Rebooted.

When the computer came back on, I could scan a full document (executed by pressing the button on the printer which correctly started the software on the PC and did the full scan - preview). I then printed a document. So it looks like all is working!

Kind of a pity in a way as I had started to look at Colour Laser printers but hey, maybe I'll get one of those too! :-)

Again, massive thanks to Firstdown, I could not have done this without you. Dell, you need to get these instructions onto your website and make sure that no-one attempts to use the disk that came with the printer!

cheers

Mark

No Events found!