Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 3rd, 2009 09:00

Dell 942 AIO Printer Driver for Vista 64-bit Won't Complete Installation

Greetings,

I am at my wits end with this.  I have been able to successfully locate (using the Dell Support Forums) the correct driver for my Dell 942 AIO printer for Windows Vista 64bit.  I have done the following steps MULTIPLE times with the exact same result every time.

1) Unplug the printer's USB cable from the computer tower.

2) Unzip and run the Clean-up utility patch R166311.

3) Reboot the computer.

4) Update windows using "Windows Update" utility.

5) Update to the latest version of Java.

6) Reboot the computer.

7) Unzip and run the Windows Vista 64bit driver package (using the "Setup" file in the unzipped folder).

8) Turn on the printer and plug the USB cable into the tower when the driver package prompts me to. (The USB cable is already plugged into the printer).

9) Shake with rage as the "Next" button remains grayed out no matter what I do!!!!!!!!!!!

Some relevant notes - I suspected the USB cable was bad, so I tested the printer using an old laptop that had windows XP already installed on it.  It worked fine and the printer operated OK using the same USB cable.  The printer will run copies just fine using the buttons on the printer itself.  When I do plug in the USB cable, Vista detects it and trys to install the printer drivers, which I exit out of without installing.  For some godforsaken reason, the driver package is not detecting the printer.  Please help!!!!  I'm sure it is something really simple like a setting or something, because I have not been able to find ANYONE that has had this same problem during installation.  *sigh*  Thank you, in advance, for your assistance.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

April 3rd, 2009 13:00

kain81073,

What you tried should have worked, as long as you also installed .net framework from Windows Updates. I suspect, since you tried this on a laptop and it worked, that there is an issue with your USB port. I really don't know how to have you correct this issue on a desktop. I really should learn this. The Vista 64-bit drivers should be R151559.exe, if I'm correct.

Disconnect the printer, right click on the patch, run as administrator and restart the computer when prompted. Install the proper drivers. When prompted to connect the printer, try a different USB Port(even try the front port). It should work. After you have the printer installed, you should be able to print a test page.

I would try shutting down the computer. Switch USB cable to the back and see what happens.

Just a recap, did you use the instructions below and I noticed that you have a 64-bit computer, make and model helpful as there are a few issues with a couple of computers and I want to make sure you model is not one of them or will be fighting a losing battle.

Please try re-installing the printer this way and then tell us what happens. Please make sure your computer has all the Windows Updates, especially .net framework, which is needed to run many applications. Also make sure you have the latest Java.

Disconnect your printer.

Download and run this patch to completely remove the printer from your computer. Run the patch(a MUST on Vista machines) until it prompts you to restart your computer. (You may have to right click on the patch, left click run as administrator)

Restart your computer.

Download the proper drivers.

XP Drivers

Vista 32-bit drivers

Vista 64-bit Drivers

All other drivers

Install the proper drivers. You'll be prompted when to connect the printer(powered on)

As for scanning, if you have the disk that came with the printer, then insert the Printer disk and stop it from running. Go to My Computer and double click on it. Look for the drive with the Dell disk in it. Right click on it, left click explore. Look for the OCR Folder. In the OCR Folder, there is an Abbyy Folder. right click on setup.exe, that's in the Abbyy Folder and left click run as administrator. This will install the OCR program.

Scanning

Scanning using USB connection, open the Dell All-In-One Center, click on scanning and copying and scan from there.

Scanning wirelessly, use the scan buttons on the printer.

Rick

2 Posts

July 14th, 2012 11:00

I too am having problems installing the same printer. I can download the driver but I cannot install. I am mad as hell unless Dell can show me how to fix it. Consider me an ex dell buyer.

2 Posts

July 14th, 2012 11:00

I know you are a user, I was just sympathizing and hoping that Dell would take notice of our frustrations in using their products.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

July 14th, 2012 14:00

mad999,

Those instructions are from 2009. Things have changed since then.

First run Delete Print Jobs to remove any stuck print jobs from the queue.

Then read the instructions at Dell 942 Photo All-In-One Printer owners thread (W7) The link to Windows 7 is listed there, if you have a Windows 7 operating system.

Did you recently install/reinstall the operating system?

Is your operating system in English or another language?

What virus program and firewall are you using?

Rick

No Events found!