Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 15th, 2016 20:00

Dell 964 All In One Photo Printer Won't Scan

I have a Dell Dimension 3100/E310 desktop computer with a Dell 964 All In One Photo Printer.  I have Windows XP on it.

I had to re-install the Printer drives and software.  I can get documents to print fine.  I can get the printer to scan using the controls on the printer.  However, if I try to scan from the Dell 964 All In One Center on the computer, I get an error message that says

Scan Was Not Successful

Try these solutions:

* Make sure the All-In-One is powered on.  (IT IS.)

* Disconnect and Reconnect the USB cable.  (I DID THAT.)

* Disconnect and Reconnect the All-In-One's power cable.  (I DID THAT.)

* Restart the computer. (I DID THAT.)

Nothing worked.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

June 16th, 2016 11:00

ColemanCreative,

You should be able to scan from the Dell All-In-One Center.

Make sure the application you want to scan to is on the list. Try reading...

Update list of applications to send scans to

If you're trying to scan to a document, PDF or Fax, you'll need to install the OCR Program from the printer disk.

As for scanning, if you have the disk that came with the printer, then insert the Printer disk and stop it from running. Go to My Computer and double click on it. Look for the drive with the Dell disk in it. Right click on it, left click explore. Look for the OCR Folder. In the OCR Folder, there is an Abbyy Folder. Right click on setup.exe, that's in the Abbyy Folder and left click run as administrator. This will install the OCR program.

Rick

June 16th, 2016 16:00

Rick,

Thank you for your answer.  It didn't exactly solve the problem, but it gave me some more ideas.

My DELL Drivers and Utilities for my Printer Disc is about 8 years old, as are my computer and printer.  In the past, when I had to re-install the Printer, I have found it will take several attempts before the disc installs all of the Printer Drivers and Utilities,  Possibly, there are some bad spots on the CD.

Following your suggestion, I opened the ABBYY file on the CD.  I had it uninstall the program.  Then I uninstalled the Printer program using the "Set Program Access and Defaults".  After restarting the computer, I tried to install the Printer software using the Software Installation Wizard.  This time it installed all of the utilities.  I saw it install OCR.  I don't think it did that before.

Now, the printer prints and it scans.  It works (for now).  I don't know exactly what I did, but it works.

Thanks again for your suggestions.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

June 24th, 2016 10:00

ColemanCreative,

Glad you got it working! Thanks for posting back.

Take care,

Rick

No Events found!