Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 2nd, 2009 23:00

Dell A920 On Vista - mostly working...

I got the Dell A920 printer to work with 32bit Vista, but I'm having a problem - the only reason I wanted this printer to work is for the scanning option, but it can not scan. It gives me a preview when I open the All In One Center or when I  click on the scan button on the printer but there is no option anywhere to scan the image for real.

I installed R153047 to get the All In One Center to work.

Any thoughts?

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

August 3rd, 2009 15:00

daval87,

The printer was made by Lexmark and they look like printer error messages. Did you right click on the patch, then left click run as administrator?

What is the make and model of your computer and operating system?

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

August 3rd, 2009 04:00

daval87,

Follow the instructions as I have them below and then tell me what happens.

Disconnect your printer.

Download and run this patch to completely remove the printer from your computer. Run the patch, a MUST on Vista machines, until it prompts you to restart your computer. 

Restart your computer.

Download the proper drivers.

XP Drivers

Vista 32-bit Drivers

Vista 64-bit drivers

All other drivers

Install the proper drivers. You'll be prompted when to connect your printer(powered on)

As for scanning, if you have the disk that came with the printer, then insert the Printer disk and stop it from running. Go to My Computer and double click on it. Look for the drive with the Dell disk in it. Right click on it, left click explore. Look for the OCR Folder. In the OCR Folder, there is an Abbyy Folder. right click on setup.exe, that's in the Abbyy Folder and left click run as administrator. This will install the OCR program.

Scanning

Scanning using USB connection, open the Dell All-In-One Center, click on scanning and copying and scan from there.

Scanning wirelessly, use the scan buttons on the printer.

Also try reading...

Update list of applications to send scans to

Rick

First, let's make sure your computer has the latest Windows Updates, especially .net framework, needed to run many applications and the latest Java.

6 Posts

August 3rd, 2009 09:00

Thanks for the in depth response.  I've been trying to follow it (from other posts youve done) but I've had little luck - always an AOIC error. I had the all in onesoftware working miraculously yesterday but running the first patch that clears all the A920 data has left me unable to make it all work together. Java is updated to the most recent because I program in it.

Anyways, the all in one software was working but there was no buttons for scanning. I could get a preview, but no full scan button existed in the all in one software.

I saw another post using a microsoft program to scan, and it gives me a preview even if all in one isnt installed but it fails to scan the entire document. It says a feeder may be jammed. I don't know what a feeder would have to do with scanning - but that's the error it comes up with. Any thoughts on that?

When I try installing I get a "Print Status Window Interface has stopped working" error.

When all in one center was working, I didnt have a Scanning and Copying button anywhere so I couldnt do anything with the 'Update list of applications to send scans to' link

Thanks for your speedy reply!

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

August 3rd, 2009 10:00

daval87,

I forgot to mention, the patch is a printer cleanup utility and makes sure the printer is completely removed from your computer. Following the instructions above make it so you can install the printer from a fresh start.

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

August 3rd, 2009 10:00

daval87,

What is the make and model of your computer and operating system? 32-bit or 64-bit? How is the A920 connected to the computer?

Did you try...

Update list of applications to send scans to

Rick

6 Posts

August 3rd, 2009 13:00

Yeah, I'm aware of the patch - things were working until I used it (with the exception of there being no "Scan" button or set of options in the All-in-one utility). I have been trying to do a system restore to try and bring back that working copy but it seems that patch did a better job than it should have. I have tried running the patch followed by the proper drivers (vista 32 bit) twice now and the R153047 file always dies at the same time.

I found a restore point that would let me reinstall the R153047 file properly but right at the very end I get an AIOC error, and if I try running all in one, I get this message:

The procedure entry point ?GetProductPrefix@LxkProduct@@SA?AVCString@@XZ could not be located in the dynamic link library dlbutil.dll

How can this be fixed?

I could care less if the printer prints, faxes, or copies, or even if the all in one center works - I just want it to work as a scanner.

Thanks for the responses thus far!

6 Posts

August 3rd, 2009 20:00

The computer is a Gateway laptop - my dell laptop died long ago (motherboard, then harddrive). It runs 32 bit windows vista.

Trying the uninstall and reinstall again; will update with results later.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

August 3rd, 2009 21:00

daval87,

GREAT JOB! :emotion-21: Glad you got it working. I know the patch needs to be run as administrator, the drivers usually ask for permission.

Rick

6 Posts

August 3rd, 2009 21:00

Fixed! Here were the exact steps:

Right click on the patch, run as administrator.

Restart.

Right click on the R153047 file, run as administrator.

Restart.

Fin.

The software I saw from earlier that didnt have a scanner button popped up, and now it can scan! Didn't think Run as Administrator would make that much of a difference. May want to add it to that set of instructions you're constantly posting ;-).

Thanks a lot for your help!

6 Posts

August 3rd, 2009 22:00

Yeah - never asked permission for me. Maybe because I have an admin account (which doesnt always mean it runs things as administrator... go figure) and I turned off UAC.

One last note - the fax doesnt work. I could care less, I'm only using it as a scanner now and I must admit, I don't believe in fax machines, but just in case someone stumbles onto this post they may want to know that.

No Events found!