Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 17th, 2012 12:00

Dell AIO 946 printer

Hi

I'm still unable to use my  printer from the computer.  I've uninstalled and tried to reinstall to no avail.  I've downloaded the drivers I've used the printer cleanup I've tried the manual removal.  Nothing.  When I try to use the All In One Center which I need to fax I get this message:

Runtime Error

Program C:\Program Files\Dell AIO PRINTER 946\DLCIaiox.exe

This application has requested the runtime to terminate it in an unusual way. Please contact the application support team for more information.

The printer and the computer (dell Inspiron 1721 running Vista 32 bit) are 5 years old.  I also cannot get the windows installer to work.  So it keeps me from being able to re install the printer software.  This all started about 2 weeks ago for no apparent reason.

Can anyone help with this?

Thank you

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

September 17th, 2012 14:00

dbjoans,

First run Delete Print Jobs to remove any stuck print jobs from the queue.

Make sure the pritner is not usb cable connected.

Download and run the patch(printer cleanup utility) until it prompts you to restart your computer.

Restart your computer. Make sure the printer was removed. Manual Printer Driver Removal

Download the Vista 32-bit drivers. Install the drivers. Youll get a message the printer is not connected. Connect the printer at this time(powered on)

Links to the patch/drivers can be found at...

Dell 946 Photo All-In-One Printer owners thread (W7)

Remember virus programs and firewalls will block communications.

Rick

11 Posts

September 17th, 2012 15:00

Thank you but I did all that.  As I said before the windows installer stops working.  I tried to install the windows installer update hoping that would solve some problems but I get the message 'the update does not apply to your system'.

When I try to open the All In One Center to try to fax it stops and gives this message:

Runtime Error

Program C:\Program Files\Dell AIO PRINTER 946\DLCIaiox.exe

This application has requested the runtime to terminate it in an unusual way. Please contact the application support team for more information.

I'm guessing there's not an answer to this problem here but thank you for your help.

Best, DBJoans

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

September 17th, 2012 15:00

dbjoans,

Do you have the OCR Program installed?

Start, all prgrams, ABBYY FineReader 6.0 Sprint, ABBYY FineReader 6.0 Sprint

Do you have the printer disk?

Rick

11 Posts

September 18th, 2012 07:00

Hi Rick

Yes I have ABBYY Fine Reader 6.0 Sprint.  I don't know how to find out if I have the OCR program installed and yes I have the printer disk.  But like I said, I've followed your instructions and it hasn't worked because the windows installer won't work.  It's very frustrating.  Thanks for your help.

DBJoans

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

September 18th, 2012 11:00

DBJoans,

Do you have the Vista Operating system disk? If yes, insert the disk and stop it from running.

Start, all programs, accesories, right click on command prompt, left click run as administrator. Type

sfc /scannow          (space between the c and /)

Hit enter. This will replace any mising or corrupt windows files. When it's done, remove the disk and restart your computer.

Now try the procedure and see what happens.

Rick

11 Posts

September 18th, 2012 12:00

Hi Rick

Well I inserted the Operating disk and I'm not sure I did it correctly.  It asked me if I wanted to go on line to find updates so I just cancelled the install, left it in the drive and did the command prompt thing.  It scanned and said it found nothing wrong.  Then I took out the disk and restarted and an error came up saying

Error IM32FAX.DIL not found

I guess it has something to do with the printer. 

When I've tried your suggested uninstall and reinstall it hasn't worked I think because the windows installer doesn't work on the restart.  It keeps telling me to insert a disk and the printer disk is already inserted. Then when I start the computer again the windows installer comes on again.  So I've had to go back to system restore to get rid of it. 

Also, on the manual uninstall of the printer the remove button isn't highlighted so I can't manually uninstall anything.

Very frustrating.  I've spend hours trying to get this to work and clearly I'm doing it wrong. It's probably too complicated for me because I need very very simple instructions that don't assume I know anything about computers.

Thanks again for your help.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

September 18th, 2012 13:00

dbjoans,

Download and install Windows Installer.

Rick

No Events found!