dstsp93
1 Copper

Re: Dell AIO 946 will not print black

Hi, I am following up on the post that I made in reply to your recommendation to buy a new cartridge.  Please let me know if you have any other advise.

Thanks!

I purchased a new black cartridge, dispite the ink levels showing full, when the problem started.  It does not print black with either.  Out of curiosity, though the cartridge doesn't appear to be the problem, what makes a cartridge that previously worked go "bad". 

Also, though not printing/copying in black....I went to the printer advanced preferences, and I didn't see print boxes option.  That sounds similar to what is unchecked under internet options. 

Thanks!

0 Kudos
TRJ
1 Copper

dstsp93

i am having the same problem...i was away for two months. came back and the 946 will not print black.  i did all the troubleshooting suggested and put in a new black cartridge....and still doesnt print black. did you find a solution? i am about to go out and buy the espson stylus nx515!

0 Kudos
dstsp93
1 Copper

TRJ,

You have found the perfect solution.....ABANDON SHIP!  I had the same problem twice, it turns out that Dell is pushing cartridges with poor quality ink, that doesn't last long even if you do get to use the entire cartridge and what isn't used dries up quickly!  Despite this being an obvious problem, they are unwilling to do much about it.  After escalating my complaints, they offered to SELL me a series 8 cartridge, supposedly better quaility than series 5! After more complaining, they sent the series 8 cartridge free....but I have yet to open it because from the reviews I read they don't last long either.

0 Kudos
TRJ
1 Copper

thanks dstsp93

would you please let me know if the new cartridge works?  frankly, i thought it was a short in the printer and not an ink problem as i put in a new series 8 with no success. i did but the series 8 a year ago so perhaps dried out.  given a new epson NX515 (which gets a great review from cnet) only costs $100 online, i am reluctant to spent $83 buying 3 new cartridges from dell. (seems they only sell bundles of 3.)

0 Kudos
dstsp93
1 Copper

I first thought it was a printer problem also, but I did all the trouble shooting and nothing helped.  I also read reviews outside of dell community and there are TONS of problems with cartridges.  A new cartridge works well, but only for a short time.  Dell seems to sell great printers and terrible ink!!  You can get them individually at walmart, walmart.com and staples. I am also thinking about trying a re-fill.......but I hear that can damage the printer.  I don't print much, so I don't know that I will purchase a new printer....but, after it may be worth just getting one. Given the time that the cartridges last, spending $83 sooner than later is inevitable.

0 Kudos
TRJ
1 Copper

thanks again dstsp93. i went to staples, bought a cartridge (for almost $30 including tax), and the printer works. just ridiculous that the two i have did not!

0 Kudos
Dr. Bey
1 Copper

When someone at Dell affirmatively answers your question, please e-mail me the fix. I have the same problem, running XP on Dell Dimension 3000. Here's what I did (and a correction to the misinformation they have on the website):

Click the Start Button

Select (click) Control Panel

Click Printers and Other Hardware

Click Printers and Faxes

Double click the AIO 946 icon (or listing (depends on your setup))

Select the Printer menu item

In the drop down menu that appears, click Printing Preferences

In the Menu that pops up, click the Advanced Tab

Click More Options (lower left hand side)

Under the Complete-A-Print Section (lower section) in the menu that appears, check the box labeled "Use color cartridge for all black printing."

Click OK

Click OK

Try Your Print Job ...

Worked for Me! I'm now printing the black ink portions of my documents. Don't know if it will drain my color cartridge faster (probably will ... and I've asked Dell via e-mail), but at least for the time being, I can print in black ink!

0 Kudos