Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 18th, 2009 10:00

Dell Photo AIO Printer 966 Won't Print After Upgrade to Windows 7

I have an Inspiron 531 computer. After upgrade from Windows Vista Home Premium to Windows 7, I had a problem finding the new printer driver, but with Dell's help, it was loaded. Now the printer still won't print.  I am getting the following message:

Dell Photo AIO Printer 966

Communication Not Available

The printer cannot communicate with the computer Please turn on Enable Bidirectional; Communication  setting in the printer properties dialog.

I have tried to do this but have been unsuccessful.  Please help.

Thank you.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

November 18th, 2009 12:00

Michael786,

Start control panel, printers, right click on the Dell 966 printer, left click properties. Click on ports. Enable biodirectional there.

By chance, did Dell have you install the Vista drivers in the Compatibility mode?

Rick

11 Posts

November 18th, 2009 13:00

Dear Rick:

Many thanks!  The printer works now. In answer to your question, Dell first removed the Vista Printer Driver software and then loaded the Windows 7 driver via remote control of my computer.   Not sure what you mean by compatiblity mode.  I should also mention that Symantec had to remove Norton 360 and reinstall it after I upgraded from Vista Home Premium to Windows 7.  The Dell rep also mentioned they were very busy creating drivers for Windows 7 for all the various devices.

Michael

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

November 19th, 2009 01:00

Michael,

Glad you got it working! Thanks for posting back.

Take care,

Rick

2 Posts

November 23rd, 2009 16:00

I have the same problem with my Dell 966 All in one printer following upgrade to Windows 7. I have unstalled and reinstalled the drivers for Windows 7 and my printer but keep getting the message Communication not available "Enable Bidirectional COmmunication'. I tried your earlier solution but when I click in printer and then properties i do not get a port tab - onle a general and hardware tab. Can you help - going mad!

Gerry

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

November 23rd, 2009 18:00

Gerry,

Below is the basic installation procedure for this printer. You need to disconnect your printer from your computer. Run the patch, it might or might not work. Also try Manual Printer Driver Removal, then restart your computer. Install the Vista drivers in the Vista SP2 compatibility mode. 

Please follow the instructions below and then tell me what happens.

First, let's make sure your computer has the latest Windows Updates, especially .net framework, needed to run many applications and the latest Java.

I recommend that you use these Recommended Wireless Router Settings for the best communications.

Disconnect your printer. Download and run this patch to completely remove the printer from your computer. Run the patch, a MUST on Vista machines, until it prompts you to restart your computer.

Restart your computer.

Download the proper drivers.

XP Drivers

Vista 32-bit Drivers 

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

64-bit Drivers 

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

All other drivers

Right click on the setup.exe file, left click properties, left click compatibility. Change the compatibility to Vista. Then install the proper drivers. You'll be prompted when to connect the printer(powered on)

***To install drivers, sometimes the file unzips and does nothing. You have to look for the setup.exe file, right click on it, then left click run as administrator***

As for scanning, if you have the disk that came with the printer, then insert the Printer disk and stop it from running. Go to My Computer and double click on it. Look for the drive with the Dell disk in it. Right click on it, left click explore. Look for the OCR Folder. In the OCR Folder, there is an Abbyy Folder. right click on setup.exe, that's in the Abbyy Folder and left click run as administrator. This will install the OCR program.

You may also need to read this,  

How Do I Connect a Dell™ Wireless Printer to a Wireless Network

Choose your printer. Beneath your printer, select your operating system. You'll be redirected to another page. Then click on show all steps. It will walk you through the installation process.

Let me know what happens and how you're connected.

Rick

11 Posts

November 23rd, 2009 19:00

No need to go to the step below.  There are two properties tabs. Click on the "Printer Properties", not the "Properties" selection. The first one is where the 'Enable Bidirectional Communication" choice is at bottom after you click on the Port tab.   Check that box and apply.   

3 Posts

November 25th, 2009 13:00

I am also having trouble getting my Dell 966 AIO to print after upgrading to Windows 7.  I do not get any output at all from the printer, which I know is functioning fine.  I tried reloading the Windows 7 driver from the Dell web site a few days ago, but it appears to be the same driver as for Windows Vista.  Am I doing something wrong?  Please help.

Thanks,     Bruce

1 Message

December 7th, 2009 11:00

I have done absolutely EVERYTHING stated in this thread MULTIPLE times and I CONTINUE to get the SAME problems. It keeps telling me to give an output file name and then says an unknown error occurs when I try printing from the web, and then it continually gives me the enable biodirectional port error when I print from a file. I have enabled it over and over and over again, I click apply and then OK and it NEVER EVER saves. This is really getting ridiculous. What the heck am I supposed to do?

39 Posts

September 24th, 2010 00:00

I have also followed the listed steps and get an error:

Instgui Error

Could not start printing.

3 Posts

March 19th, 2012 08:00

Did you ever get this fixed?  I am getting the same problem.  I understand why you're shouting!  

1 Message

March 21st, 2012 18:00

I too am getting the same problem........sned help! lol

3 Posts

March 22nd, 2012 11:00

I went into my firewall settings and turned off my firewall and enable bidirectional communication and it worked.  I am not sure if this is what finally fixed it I tried so many things!  But it is working now.  I turned the firewall back on and it is still working.  Try it!

No Events found!