Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 28th, 2010 17:00

Dell Photo All-in-One 926 Printer Scan Problem

Whenever I scan a document with numbers, the numbers lose formatting and many are replaced with symbols.  The same happens if I use the Save an Image feature.  Previewing first shows a perfect document but something happens during the process that messes things up.  How can I fix this?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 28th, 2010 19:00

afernandes,

Do you have the OCR Program installed? If so, try checking it and see what language it's set for. Also try changing the dpi on the printer to a different setting to see if that helps.

Rick

7 Posts

January 30th, 2010 19:00

Thanks for the suggestions.  The language is English and I adjusted the dpi which helped alot.  The document scans perfectly if I scan it to MS Paint.  Otherwise, if I scan to Wordpad the numbers still lose their formatting.  Would you have a suggestion as to how to correct this?  Thanks for all of your help!

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 31st, 2010 03:00

afernandes,

Did you install the OCR Program?

As for scanning, if you have the disk that came with the printer, then insert the Printer disk and stop it from running. Go to My Computer and double click on it. Look for the drive with the Dell disk in it. Right click on it, left click explore. Look for the OCR Folder. In the OCR Folder, there is an Abbyy Folder. right click on setup.exe, that's in the Abbyy Folder and left click run as administrator. This will install the OCR program.

Or try using Simple OCR

Rick

7 Posts

February 1st, 2010 14:00

You're brilliant!  I think the OCR program may  have been initially installed incorrectly as following your instructions uninstalled it.  But I reinstalled it and it now seems to work.  If I send the scanned image as a PDF to Adobe Acrobat - it's perfect! Thanks for being so patient with me and solving the problem.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

February 1st, 2010 16:00

afernandes,

I still think that scanning to Adobe makes a huge file. I scann to Open Office(swriter .rtf default), like Microsoft Word, but it's FREE. I then export the document as a .pdf and the file is much smaller.

Rick 

7 Posts

February 2nd, 2010 17:00

May I trouble you further to explain how to do that?  I have OpenOffice on my desktop.  How can I set OpenOffice to be one of the applications to scan to?  I also have Microsoft Word Viewer and Excel Viewer - do I need to un insrtall them first?  Thanks!

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

February 3rd, 2010 01:00

afernandes,

Try reading...

Update list of applications to send scans to

If you use enhanced search and it finds swriter, that is the Work part of Open Office. Make the extension .rtf

That should add it to the list. Itf you do not see it with enhansed search, then click add in the upper right corner,

type the name of the program that you'd like it to appear on the screen, (Open Office)

click browse and locate the program (swriter) your self and remember to give the type of extension to send scans to.(.rftf)

After you scan the document, you'll have it scan to Open Office. It will open the document in Open Office. make any changes that it needs, then you see a PDF Button, thei will export the document as a PDF.

Rick

1 Message

February 11th, 2010 14:00

I can't scan anything on my 925 all in one.   I have had it replaced and the scanner worked for a while.  It will still work if I go to the control panel and to scanners and do a diagnostic test.

I have completely uninstalled and reinstalled the software both from the disk and from the website.   It prints and copies but will not scan using the software Dell provided or by manually trying on the All in One.

Please help me figure out what I am doing wrong.

Sheryl

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

February 12th, 2010 13:00

Sheryl,

I'm hoping that you have a 926 printer.

If you can make a copy of a document when you put it under the glass, then try reinstalling the drivers using the instructions located at...

926 Photo All-In-One Printer owners thread (W7)

Let ,e know what happens.

Rick

1 Message

November 23rd, 2011 12:00

Hello, and thank you for helping folks - it has helped me too although I could not get scanner to look for Open Office directly, I go via ABBYY and then open in Open Office.

Once again, thank you

Wendy

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

November 23rd, 2011 15:00

Wendy,

Try reading...

Update list of applications to send scans to

Locate the swriter.exe file at

C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenOffice.org 3\program

Choose .rtf as file type

Rick

1 Message

November 28th, 2011 05:00

I tried to scanned with my 920 all in one printer and the scanned object never appears at all but a blair and black massages appears on the computer. i then try to open and clean the head that scanned the image. I also dismantle the whole  laser. after fixing it back and try to scanned i was told the scanned is not clossed correctly and even the printer option too cant work. The only massage that comes on the screen is the scnner is not closed. what then shall i do to resolve it even as I re-fixed the then prinetr back  

No Events found!