Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 5th, 2010 06:00

Dell V313 won't print

My old A940 isn't compatible with my new Studio XPS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit so I bought a Dell V313.  I'm beginning to think they need to add it to the incompatible list.  I've read through all the threads and tried everything PudgyOne suggested and it still will not print. It's connected via wired USB.  It's online, the computer recognizes it, it scans when I tell it to scan via the software interface; but it just won't print.  The unit worked when I set it up and told it to print the initial alignment page so that's not the problem.  I tried uninstalling and reinstalling, and again with antivirus off.  I tried re-installing without the 5 upgrades, I tried the Dell Support driver installation options including Vista compatibility mode.  Nothing works.  Help!

December 6th, 2013 12:00

Hello everybody,

I have the Dell V313 Printer on my mom's Computer for about three years. Here are some lessons that I have learned. I hope this will help other People:

• The Printer works with Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows 8.1. I had the Printer running fine with all These operating Systems.
  • When it prints, the print results are okay for such a low-Price model.
  • After about three years, the Printer head died. Fortunately, I had an Extended warranty and had it replaced for free. If the Printer head dies and you don't have the warranty, bad luck. The Printer head costs about the same as a new Printer. The warranty also costs the same as a new Printer. I think this is what you have to accept when buying such a low-Price model.

Here is some advice that Dell Support won't give you, but Comes from hours fiddling with the Drivers:

• Do not use the CD that Comes with the Driver. Do not download any Drivers. It is much easier:
  • Just plug in the USB cable and Windows (7/8/8.1) will automatically download the necessary Drivers from Windows Update. These Drivers are tested from Microsoft and quite reliable. Be Patient. The download can take a couple of minutes. Just wait until a bubble Pops up telling you that "the device can be used now".
  • There will be an Icon on the Desktop or somewhere else telling you to "download additional Software to complete the Installation". This will take you to a download from Lexmark. I suggest you do not download this Software. It is not necessary, but makes the Driver Situation worse (see below).
  • The Driver from Windows Update enables you to print and scan from all applications using the Windows standard printing and scanning interfaces.

Now here is the Problem that everybody runs into after a while:

• Suddenly, the Printer does not print any more. Maybe you get an error saying "the communication with the Printer failed".
  • What does not help: unplug and re-plug the USB cable does not help.
  • Pressing "print" again and again does not help.
  • What does help: restart Windows. I mean, re-boot. Pressing the power button on your Computer will probably set the Computer in standby. This is not a reboot. You have to find the button for "Windows shutdown". Use Google if you don't know where to find this in Windows 7 or 8.

Here is what happens:

• The Printer Driver from Lexmark installs a Service. This is nothing bad or unusual. The Service is responsible for Extended functions like showing the Status of your ink cartridges. The Service is called "dlea_Service" or something similar with "dlea".
  • As I have found out, this Service sometimes crashes when Windows Wakes up from standby or Hibernation. This is the single reason for this whole Problem.

What you can do to get the Printer running without getting mad:

• If you technical skills are low, just save all your work and re-boot the Computer. It is annoying but if your Computer boots fast, it is acceptable.
  • If your technical skills are high, you can try to restart the Service through the command line. Sometimes it works. But it requires Administrator priviledges, so it is not a solution for my mum.
  • If your technical skills are very high, you can go into Windows Services Manager and tell Windows to restart the Service automatically after a Crash. I am not sure if this helps. I have not run enough tests for this way.

Why not install the additional Software from Lexmark?

• The additional Software will give you some nice Options in the printer's control Panel (in System Settings). Things like optical character recognition or "scan to pdf and send with E-Mail". It can be useful.
  • However, the additional Software installs even more Services and messes up the Drivers even more. My personal opinion is that most customers don't Need this.
  • Printing with Windows is straight Forward and does not require any additional Software.
  • Scanning can be difficult for some People. You can use the scanner with all applications that Support the Standard Interface. For example, in Windows Live Photo Gallery, it is called "Import". It will bring up the operating system's scanning dialogue. It is not fancy but it works fine. 
  • In Windows 8.1, I recomed he new "Scanner" app. You just Need to press one button, called "scan". Open the scanned Picture. Now use the new "share" function in the charms bar to share by E-Mail. No additional Software required. It can't get easier than that!

I hope this helps somebody out there! :emotion-1: 

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

July 15th, 2015 12:00

dakotadude1963,

Open Internet Explorer, click on Help, then click on About Internet Explorer. It should show the version there. If you have IE11, then go to control panel, Windows Update, Installed Updates, look for Internet Explorer 11. Click on Internet Explorer 11, uninstall.

Restart the computer, when prompted. Then see if your printer works.

The other option is to turn off the balloon tips for the printer.

Start, control panel, devices and printer, your printer, printing preferences, advanced, more options. Tell it to never show. The problem with this setting is you cannot tell if you're low on ink, printer jams, Etc.

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

February 5th, 2010 16:00

resortor,

When you went to install Windows 7, did you install the notebook/desktop utility and the chipset drivers from Drivers & Downloads?

If there were no Windows 7 drivers, did you try installing the Vista drivers?

Rick

9 Posts

February 6th, 2010 10:00

I didn't install Windows 7.  I bought my Studio XPS new in December and it was pre-imaged.

btw, I also tried using the V313 with my older Inspirion 1501 laptop, following all the steps to install the appropriate drivers and it won't print with that computer either!

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

February 6th, 2010 13:00

rsortor,

Since you cannot print with the other computer, then we'll need to change the settings in your wireless router.

Update the firmware in your wireless router. Manufacturer's website, make & Model needed.

Broadcast SSID(You may want to change this to make it easier to connect)

Use WPA-PSK(TKIP) Security(WPA Personal). Most wireless devices work best with this type of security. Password at least 12 characters long.

Mixed b and g mode

Use channels 1, 6 or 11. Most devices work better on these channels. I use channel 11.

Keep the setting at DHCP.

Do NOT use Mac Address Filtering

Save and exit. Power everything off for 30 seconds. Power on your ISP Modem/router first. Wait 30 seconds, then turn on your wireless router.

Restart your computer and then try to connect.

Now you'll have to setup your Printer. Please make sure you're online to install the printer. Since you have a Vista machine, I'd get out the printer disk and put the disk in the Vista machine. It will prompt you to setup the printer. At one point, you'll be asked to connect the printer with the USB Cable. Do so at this time and follow the instructions. After you install the printer, then see if you can print with the Vista machine wirelessly.

Then download the Vista drivers that match your Windows 7 machine. If you're using Windows 7 32-bit, then download the Vista 32-bit drivers. If using Windows 7 64-bit, then download the Vista 64-bit drivers.

Install the Vista drivers in the compatibility mode on the Windows 7 machine.

More instructions and driver downloads can be found at...

V313 All-In-One Printer owners thread

Any questions, please feel free to ask.

Rick

9 Posts

February 6th, 2010 15:00

Why?  It's connected with a USB cable.  And I don't have a Vista machine.  The laptop is an Inspirion 1501 with XP and the desktop is a brand spanking new Studio XPS with Windows 7.  The XP driver didn't work in the laptop.   I just tried the Vista compatibility mode as outlined in all these threads after everything else failed.  It did too...

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

resortor,

Try Delete Print Jobs to get rid of the print jobs, first.

Hit the Windows key and the R keys at the same time.

Type

sevices.msc

Hit enter. Look for something like dlcj_services. Make sure it's set for automatic. Then restart the service. Also look for the Print Spooler. Make sure it's set for automatic and restart the service.

Also try...

Enable Bidirectional Support/Enable Biodirectional Support

What happens now?

Rick

9 Posts

The Studio XPS is a desktop.  And I've tried three different USB ports.  The computer sees the printer, the printer responds when I open the Dell printer software and tell it to scan.  It just won't print.  Print jobs hang in the queue and nothing prints.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

rsortor,

Sorry, I missed that.

You new Studio, is this a laptop or a desktop? I feel you have a USB Port issue.

Rick

9 Posts

February 7th, 2010 05:00

There is no"dlcj_services" in the alphabetical list.  After "dlba_device" the next item is "dlea_device."  There is a Print Spooler and it is set for automatic.  And I saw the Bidirectional Support information in one of the threads and the box next to it was always checked.  Still no printing from the unit.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

February 7th, 2010 06:00

rsortor,

Just something else to try. Go to Drivers & Downloads enter your service tag number. With all usb devices disconnected, download and install the desktop/notebook Utility and the chipset drivers. If there are none listed, then use the Vista drivers. I feel there is a small issue with your USB Ports and doing this will correct the problem. I have seen Windows say that theye are no problems and on my laptop, I have actually uninstalled them all and restart my computer but since you have a desktop, because your computer has the mouse and keyboard connected, I have heard others say this is how you correct the USB Port problem.

Rick

9 Posts

February 7th, 2010 07:00

When I go to the  Drivers & Downloads page, it already has my service tag # for the printer (with a picture of the printer)and I don't see anything about desktop/notebook Utility or chipset drivers.  The only selectable thing there is a drop-down list of Operating Systems.  I choose Vista 64-bit, right? (my W7 OS is 64-bit)  The only thing on the download list under "All Printer V313 (All-in-One) (1-files)" is "Dell Driver"  Are the desktop/notebook Utility and the chipset drivers included within the files that download when I click the button?  Also, I'll have to have the mouse connected at the very least to one USB port in order to do anything..

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

February 7th, 2010 11:00

rsortor,

The service tag number for your computer. you can click on locate my servive tag and the program will find the service tag of your computer. Since all I know is that you have an XPS, I don't know the model number, so I cannot located these files for you.

Rick

9 Posts

February 7th, 2010 15:00

Thanks for all the help and feedback but nothing's worked and I'm returning the printer. 

4 Posts

July 20th, 2010 07:00

I am experiencing a similiar problem.  Communication is being sent from the computer to the printer but nothing is printing to my Dell V313 printer.  It had been working fine, so this came out of no-where.  The Queu now indicates that 5 print jobs are being held up.  I have tried to delete/cancel the jobs, but the first just hangs out there with the statu os "Deleting - Printing".  I have powered off, unplugged, tried to reset and nothing is working.  Can anyone help?  (Windows 7 user)

No Events found!