Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 1st, 2012 14:00

Dell v 313 print head error will not clear

I've done all of the same things as everyone else on this page. New v313 computer and printer from Dell in Feb 2011. Used the printer a few times and found it incredibly slow (what's it doing in there?) so reverted to my old printer hooked up to my old computer. In July 2011, tried to use it again. After only a few prints, it printed a page with blue ink overlaying the black printing -- looked like major leak. I unplugged it and went back to the old printer.

Out of warranty now, of course. Note to self: always drop everything, including the rest of one's life, to respond to Dell problems.

Today I decided to devote Sunday afternoon to cleaning up the printer and making it work. The control panel said it had a print head error. I did everything suggested in the User's Guide and on this forum to correct the problem, but like everyone else, I can't clear the error so I don't know whether it's a clearance problem or still the print head problem. I will now leave it turned off for ten days.

In the meantime, I will print on my old Epson Stylus Color 980 work horse, which has probably printed a couple hundred thousand pages in its long life. If I ever order another Dell computer, they will have to send the sheriff to make me accept a "free" or low-cost printer. But the printer problems make me wonder if I should ever order another Dell product since I've had problems with them, too, always just a few days after the warranty expires.

1 Message

April 3rd, 2012 01:00

Hi,

Try updating the firmware from the Dell support site.  

www.dell.com/.../19

5 Posts

April 3rd, 2012 10:00

Thank you for the suggestion, Chen Ming. Two downloads were listed at the site you suggested.

1) R301203.exe asked me to select a printer to update but never listed any so I wasn't able to complete. (I even looked for IP address per only other option and because my printer isn't networked, I have no Ports tab and therefore no IP address.) Instead moved to other download available.

2) R306978.exe -- Downloaded and installed. "You can perform most tasks w/your printer using Dell Printer Home, found in the Start Menu." All except printing. Same printhead problem error msg keeps scrolling across the control panel on the printer.

3) I changed color cartridge. Same printhead problem error msg. It won't clear with red X button or On/Off.

Looks like defective product to me, probably shipped that way since I've printed fewer than 50 pages, now out of warranty. HP or Epsom next time.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

April 3rd, 2012 11:00

mbfinsf,

Try reading...

Cleaning the Printhead on Dell AIO V313w, V515w, V715w, P513w, and P713W Printers

and

Troubleshooting Printhead Problems on the Dell AIO V313w, V515w, V715w, P513w, and P713W Printers

Shake the Dell Series cartridges before reseating them. Make sure the lip of the cartridge is in the correct position. A video on how to insert the cartridge can be found at...

The Printer Does Not Recognize the Ink Cartridge or Only Prints in One Color

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

mbfinsf,

I think I saw you mention that the printer was just out of warranty, correct? If yes, then contact Dell and explain about the printhead error. Don't have them try to charge you. They may have a way to test the printhead and come up with a solution.

Rick

5 Posts

Sorry, Rick, I'm new to using forums so started a new post but thought I was adding to existing one; hence the sentence "I've done all of the same things as everyone else on this page." I spent Sunday afternoon cleaning the printhead and troubleshooting the printhead using every link I could find on Dell and on the community forums, all to no avail. Per your suggestion, I took out the new cartridge and shook it, but still have the printhead problem error msg. No buttons will clear the error msg. Unplugging the printer will not clear the msg. The Setup button doesn't display. I can scan, but I can't print. One user said he left his printer turned off for ten days; it's the only solution that I haven't yet tried. I'm checking electronics recycling to offload this defective printer. Then it's off to Staples to buy an HP.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

April 3rd, 2012 12:00

mbfinsf,

Sorry to hear the results were not what you wanted to hear. I have heard that sometimes if the warranty is close, the printhead is sometimes replaced.

Sorry I couldn't help mich with that. I have heard that members have purchased a new printhead from HERE.

Rick

5 Posts

April 3rd, 2012 12:00

Thank you, Rick. I've just spent the past 45 minutes on the phone with Dell Tech Support, doing all of the things I've already done, including cleaning printhead, trying to download firmware update (can't find plugged-in printer so can't download) AND (this one was a challenge) pulling out the electrical cord from the back of the printer, then holding down reset and on buttons simultaneously while re-inserting electrical cord. My right hand is now longer than my left one from stretching it to span the buttons which are diagonally opposite each other on the panel. Nothing worked so the tech advised buying a new printer. Thank you for responding. It's nice to know there are helpful people out there. Tech Support was nice, too.

5 Posts

April 3rd, 2012 13:00

Alas, the site only sells Lexmark-compatible printheads. Amazon sells Dell printheads for $59.99 and a new V313 printer for $62. Comments from a disgruntled purchaser of the V313 printer on the Amazon site follow my sign-off and echo my experience.

Thanks again for your suggestions.

"1.0 out of 5 stars Defective Product, July 29, 2010

By mr1 (Minneapolis, MN USA) - See all my reviewsThis review is from: Dell All-in-One Wireless Printer (V313W) (Office Product)

Do not buy the V313w all in one printer. No matter how cheap the price, it is not a good buy. I purchased this printer in mid-January 2010, following my purchase of a wireless laptop and an upgrade to wireless internet. A wireless all in one printer for $100 seemed a good deal. Unfortunately, immediately after purchasing the printer, it consistently displayed a "no paper" error, even though paper was in the machine. Apparently there was an issue with the rollers not pulling the paper into the printer. Dell replaced that printer a week after purchase. Shortly after receipt of the new printer, there began intermittent errors indicating "there is a problem with the printhead". Initially, turning the printer off and then back on resolved the issue. However, occasionally the printhead needed to be wiped with a soft cloth. This problem continued until July 2010, when no amount of wiping or turning off/on resolved the problem. I called Dell technical support and endured several tortuous calls with call center reps in India. Finally, one rep suggested updating the firmware. Although the firmware was successfully updated, the problem was not fixed. As a result, Dell sent a replacement "refurbished" printer. I received the printer in the third week of July 2010. After setup, I printed two documents without problems. On the third document, I received the error message, "there is a problem with the printhead." Turning the printer off, then back on, resolved the error. The same error has continued intermittently over the past week. I'm debating about whether I will call Dell again or just admit defeat and buy an HP printer.

It should also be noted that the V313w goes through ink more rapidly than any printer I've ever used or owned. From January through July, I have purchased over $300 worth of ink cartridges from Dell for this printer, plus the free cartridges that came with the two replacement printers. I have an 8 year old HP inkjet printer connected to my desktop computer. Although I have used both printers relatively equally during this 6 month period, my HP has only required one cartridge change and has never given me any problems. I also have a 6 year old HP LaserJet that has never encountered a problem.

My advice is to buy an HP printer. Dell may be great with computers, but they have a way to go with printers - at least with the V313w."

April 24th, 2012 16:00

Hello ...Just to confirm that I had similar issues as mentioned by you.

I ordered the Lexmark Printhead from the link http://www1.lexmark.com/US/en/view/New%20Product/Lexmark-100-Series-Printhead/catId=cat170011-category&prodId=6167-product

I confirm that it works perfectly.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

April 24th, 2012 17:00

crownambassador,

Glad you got it working! :emotion-21: Thanks for posting back.

Take care,

Rick

No Events found!