Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 2nd, 2013 09:00

Dell v313w not printing black.

I have done everything suggested to remove and clean the printhead. I have used two color cartriges cleaning, aligning, deep cleaning removing and cleaning the printhead all with no success. HELP Please!

Thanks

john4life

943 Posts

October 2nd, 2013 10:00

Hi john4life,  

Since you mentioned that you have used two color cartridges, I would like to know if you are facing this problem only while printing in black or it’s not printing at all.   

Thanks & Regards
Prateek K
#iworkfordell

To know more about Dell Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Order & Dispatch status -> choose your region US Customers; India Customers. For Here for Dell support videos.

9 Posts

October 2nd, 2013 12:00

I have all the ink carts in place because usually when I "clean," "deep clean," and/or "align" any printing problems are repaired and the printer prints a test page using all colors. I have expected the problem to be "fixed" each time I have performed one of these operations.

When printing the test page, sometimes the black bar prints an inch or so "fuzzily" then is blank and the following black bars are "white," sometimes just "white" - no black at all.

john4life

9 Posts

October 2nd, 2013 19:00

I guess you are suggesting a new printhead. Is this correct?

john4ife

943 Posts

October 3rd, 2013 11:00

Hi john4life,

I appreciate the time and effort that you took to troubleshoot the issue. In order to isolate the issue, I would request you to reply to the information requested below: 

1)      Are you using Dell-branded ink cartridges or third party/refilled ink cartridges?

2)     Try to set the printer to print only in black. To print in black only, press the color/black button on the printer's control panel and select the option to print in black mode only.

3)      Update the printer firmware by clicking on the link below. Download the printer firmware and update the same: http://dell.to/18Un1Hr

4)     Additionally, please click on the link below for useful information and steps: http://dell.to/1a2L7QL  

Please revert with the results.

Thanks & Regards
Prateek K
#iworkfordell

To know more about Dell Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Order & Dispatch status -> choose your region US Customers; India Customers. For Here for Dell support videos.

9 Posts

October 30th, 2013 10:00

Thanks! I've been extremely busy so have not spent time with this - until now!

1) I am using 3rd party ink cartridges. (Now you are going to tell me that this is my problem! I have used these carts ever since I obtained this printer and the results have been flawless! - until now!)

2) I can not find out how to force the printer to print in black ink only when I am trying to "Clean - Align - Etc. It will not allow me to select Black Only. When I try to set it for black only from the "Printing Preferences drop down box," it is Greyed out and I can not select "Black only."

3) I updated the firmware. Thanks for the URL.

4) I obtained and installed a new print head. Still no Black.

Any further suggestions?

Thanks

john4life

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

October 30th, 2013 21:00

john4life,

Some generic cartridges work, some don't. The Dell Series 21, 22 cartridges have a sensor in them that cannot be reset.

Once you get a  cartridge that allows the printer to print, you can change the settings in printer preferences to print with black only. I use the Dell Series high capacity cartridges. The last set lasted over a year and I print using all available ink.

Rick

9 Posts

October 31st, 2013 06:00

Thanks Rick. I'll give it a try!

1 Message

November 25th, 2013 08:00

When you are low on color ink, the V313 series printers offer you the a menu option of printing only with black ink.  However, when you replace your color cartridge they do not offer you a corresponding menu option to return to color printing.

Indicators that this is your problem are that your cleaning diagnostic printouts will be in color, your alignment diagnostic printouts will be in color and scanned documents will be in color, but digital photos and files will only print in black.

If this is the case with your printer, ignore all of the suggestions to change, clean, align, shake and squeeze your ink cartridges and print head. If it's printing everything in color except data files nothing is wrong with the cartridges or print head. The problem is a software setting. Here’s how to fix it:

1. Launch Dell printer home and open the User’s Guide.
  2. At the upper left corner of the screen select “File” and then from the drop-down menu select “Print”.
  3. From the top line of the print menu select “Advanced”.
  4. At the bottom of the advanced menu select “More Options”.
  5. At the bottom of the more options menu click to remove the check mark from the box corresponding to “Use black ink only”.
  6. Back out and restart your computer.

If Dell would only make the printer smart enought to know you have installed a new color cartridge and pop-up a menu option to resume color printing all this would be unnecessary.

4 Posts

August 31st, 2014 16:00

I'm having the same issue with my v313w printer. Was this ever resolved?

9 Posts

August 31st, 2014 17:00

I had been using Print Pal ink carts. for a long time (the Dell carts are considerably more expensive). Suddenly, they stopped working successfully. I tried everything I could think of. (Print pal sent me a replacement free- no success.) 

I finally broke down and purchased a dell oem cart. Success so far.

4 Posts

September 2nd, 2014 11:00

I've always used Dell OEM ink cartridges purchased directly from Dell, yet I still have the same issue. Do you buy the regular black ink cartridges or the high yield? I usually get the high yield and am wondering if maybe it is an issue with those types of cartridges.. -J
No Events found!