Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 8th, 2013 07:00

Dell v525w all-in-one

I can print but can not scan over my wireless network.  Get a "communication failure" message on the networked computer.  Printing working fine on same networked computer.  For anyone having the problem of printing from the internet with Dell v525w I recently solved that problem --  I am using IE 9 and could not print internet pages -- discovered I needed to run IE 9 as administrator to print.  Right click on Explorer and select "run as administrator".  Never had to do this on my canon printer.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

April 9th, 2013 16:00

jlfraley,

Sounds like you have generic drivers installed. The drivers, if installed using the drivers disk or Dell's website, install the program and shortcut.

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

April 10th, 2013 13:00

jlfraley,

Start, control panel, default programs. You can select Outlook as the default email program. Then when you scan to email, it should attach the file to an email. Trying to remember, I think it's a jpeg, so you can get the sane results by scanning an image, then attaching it yourself.

If it's a document, I usually scan to Adobe Reader and attach the pdf file to an email.

You have to set the default email for the scan to get the scan to email to work.

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

April 8th, 2013 08:00

jlfraley,

Did you use the printer disk to install the printer?

There were issues with certain version of Internet explorer. Did you try a different browser?

Some Web sites may not behave as expected in Internet Explorer

You cannot print or print preview Web pages in Internet Explorer on Windows Vista or on Windows 7

You cannot print or view the print preview of a webpage in Internet Explorer 9

Rick

10 Posts

April 8th, 2013 09:00

I solved this issue after hours of messing with it by editing scanning profile on my computer, which is the networked computer.  This brought up a new profile on printer scanning menu which then allowed me to scan to my computer over the network.  Even though my computer profile was originally set up to scan, only editing and creating a new profile sovled the problem.  In the meantime, I lost the printer home menu from my desktop, but that is another problem to spend hours on.  This printer is wierd.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

April 8th, 2013 10:00

jlfraley,

Glad you got it working! :emotion-21: Thanks for posting back.

Start, all programs, Dell Printers, right click on Dell Printer Home, left click copy.

Go to your desktop and ina blank area, right click, then left click paste shortcut. That should put the shortcut to Dell Printer home on your desktop.

Rick

10 Posts

April 8th, 2013 11:00

o.k.  so start, all programs, did not bring up dell printers.  I went to computer, c drive, program files and found Dell V525 Series folder.  Opened the folder and there is no association with Dell Printer Home.  It is, of course, found on host computer.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

April 8th, 2013 11:00

jlfraley,

Start, in search type

Dell

Does it show up that way?

If not, how did you install the printer, using the Dell V525w Printer disk?

Rick

10 Posts

April 8th, 2013 15:00

search did not find dell printer home.  The printer was installed on the host computer with a disk and set up on the network using the wireless utility program that came with the disk.  At that point, dell home was on my desktop.  However, when I had to fix the scanning problem I uninstalled the printer from my computer and did a re-install by adding the device from the network.  Solved the scanning issue this way by resetting my profile which I accessed through accessing the dell printer via my network map, which shows the printer on the network.  But I can not find dell home anymore.  There are a multitude of settings through accessing the printer from the network map.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

April 8th, 2013 18:00

jlfraley,

Dell Printer Home is in the drivers package.

Why was the printer installed on a host computer when it has a wireless adapter?

Rick

10 Posts

April 9th, 2013 05:00

actually, the printer software was installed using the wireless utility.  I can print and scan now over the network I just lost dell home on the networked computer when I fixed the scanning problem.  If it was part of the driver package I don't understand why I cannot find it on the networked computer.  Drivers have been checked to make sure they are current using device manager.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

April 9th, 2013 08:00

jlfraley,

The proeprties for my Dell Printer Home shortcut are...

"C:\Program Files\Dell\Dashboard\DL__Dashboard.exe"

See if you can locate the DL__Dashboard.exe file    

In search type

dl__dashboard          (there are 2 underlines __ )

Rick

10 Posts

April 9th, 2013 15:00

no dell dashboard file.  c\program files brings up "Dell V520 Series".  This opens up to "install" file folder, Install? html compiled help file, "prod.ver" ver file and "webpackver" xml document.  The install file folder contains "Config" file folder, "x86" file folder and "Support" Html document.  Config has a number of file folder and document files as well as a configuration file named "Product."  No exe. files can be found.  These are the only program/files I can find for the printer.

10 Posts

April 10th, 2013 05:00

You were right.  Checked drivers on computer and found they were generic microsoft.  Reinstalled printer using disk and printer and scanner are both working fine, and dell home is back on my desktop.  The scanner scans over the network to my computer but cannot get it configured to scan e-mail using the dell home set up option.  It asks for my SMTP server name which I thought was generic SMTP but this name will not take.  I am going to call  COX, my ISP provider, to try to get more info.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

April 10th, 2013 10:00

jlfraley,

When you scanned to email before, did you have a program for email, like Outlook or Mozila Thinderbird?

Rick

10 Posts

April 10th, 2013 13:00

Hey Rick,

Scan to e-mail has never worked on either computer.  I tried to set it up on my computer, windows mail.  I don't understand why the setup asks for the STMP server name because that is outgoing.  POP is the incoming server and it seems to me the incoming server should be entered for the printer to e-mail to my computer.  In any event, I talked to a cox tecnician who confirmed incoming POP server, server name pop.cox.net, portal 995.  Outgoing STMP server name stmp.cox.net, portal 25.  When I tried to set it up it asked for the STMP server name and already had the proper port number, 25, entered.  Only other entries were my email user name and password.

After set-up would not take the STMP server name I entered POP server name in the STMP filed and changed the portal setting from 25 to 995.  Set-up told me that I was now set up to scan to email and this option came up at the printers menu.  However, it does not scan to email when the option is selected from the printer's menu.  For that matter, my other computer also had scan to email on the printers profile but it also will not work.

No Events found!