Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 22nd, 2012 13:00

Driver for Visioneer 4400

I've got a Visioneer 4400 USB scanner. The latest driver I can find [from Visioner web site] is for XP. I've now have a win7-64 Dell n5110. It finds the scanner ok, tries to load the/a driver...no go! So...thought I'd try to use Linux Mint on a USB drive as a work around...can't find a supported driver.

I hate to have to get rid of a good scanner that works for lack of a supported driver...ideas?  

4 Operator

• 

2.5K Posts

August 23rd, 2012 07:00

Hi D_railed ,

Windows 7 is a user friendly operating system. Unfortunately Visioneer 4400 USB scanner only works with windows XP Service pack 1,2000, ME, 98. However, you can try one step to check if the driver is available for this scanner. Please be informed, there is no driver for windows 7 available as of now. Please refer to the document below for more clarifications.

http://support.visioneer.com/products/4400/spec.asp

You can also try the below steps incase Microsoft has the driver.

Start>right click on computer>properties>Device manager>right click on printer and update the driver. If Microsoft has the driver, it will automatically scan and update the drivers.

Thanks and regards,
Senthil S
#iworkfordell.

1 Message

June 15th, 2020 11:00

There are no updated drivers for this scanner, however:

Recently I was going through some of my Dad's things and found an old family photo that I wanted to share with family.
My scanner however is of late 90s or early 2000s vintage and isn't supported in Windows 10. Undeterred, I set about investigating whether there was a way to make it work anyway. In my case my scanner is a Visioneer 4400 USB. After locating and downloading several drivers and unsuccessfully trying to make them work, I decided to try the Microsoft generic scanner driver:
Device Manager (search for devmgr) > find your device, perhaps listed as an "unknown device." Right-click on it and select "Update driver" then "Browse my computer for driver software" then "Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer." In the left pane under Manufacturers, select "Microsoft" then in the right pane "USB scanner device." Hit the "Next" button and then you'll probably get an "Update driver warning" message. Click on Yes and it will install the driver.
Do a web search for "NAPS2" which is a free scanner utility, download it and install it. Before you can use it with your scanner, you MAY have to make a simple configuration change to use it. Double-click on it to launch it and In the NAPS2 window in the top menu bar, select "Profiles." When that window pops up, hit the "Edit" button. This brings up the "Profiles settings" window. At the bottom left of the window you will see the "Advanced" button. Click on that. In the next window, look for "Twain implemetation" at the bottom and select "Alternative transfer." Hit OK, OK and Done. Now you're ready to scan.
In the top menu bar again, select the down arrow in the Scan button and select "Scan Manager." You can manage your scan from there or just hit the "Scan" button.

This technique might work for other legacy scanners as well.

1 Message

February 21st, 2021 12:00

Thank you for the suggestion. I've used this warhorse of a scanner for two decades. At some point (when I upgraded to WIndows 7 or to Windows 10 32-bit) I must have downloaded the generic Microsoft USBScanner driver, and it still worked with its Scan Manager. But now that I upgraded to a Windows 10 64-bit PC I seem to be out of luck, even downloading the latest generic Microsoft driver. Is there an extra step or workaround, or has it reached the end of its useful life?

No Events found!