Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 14th, 2009 17:00

Enable Bidirectional Communication error when attempting to print to Dell 725 printer plugged into XPSM1330 laptop

New XPS M1330 laptop, Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit.  Downloaded 64-bit Vista driver for Dell 725 printer.  Plugged printer into laptop USB port, software installed, alignment page printed, tried to print Test Page from Setup Complete window and get error:  "Communication Not Available. The printer cannot communicate with the computer. Please turn on "Enable Bidirectional Communication" setting in the printer properties dialog."  I check the "Enable bidrectional support" box on the Ports tab of the printer properties dialog, click Apply, click OK.  Still get the error.  Go back to printer properties and the box is unchecked.  Tried multiple times, same result.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

March 15th, 2009 03:00

ccoop,

Try re-installing the printer using the instructions below and see if it corrects the issue you're having.

First, let's make sure your computer has the latest Windows Updates, especially .net framework, needed to run many applications and the latest Java.

Disconnect your printer. Download and run this patch to completely remove the printer from your computer. Run the patch until it prompts you to restart your computer.

Restart your computer.

Download the proper drivers.

XP Drivers

Vista 32-bit Drivers

Vista 64-bit Drivers 

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

All other drivers

Install the proper drivers. You'll be prompted when to connect your printer(powered on)

Rick

2 Posts

March 15th, 2009 10:00

I followed the above steps with one exception.  The link to Vista 64-bit Drivers was the Japanese version, I used the English version that I had originally used.  It's now working, thank you very much. 

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

March 15th, 2009 11:00

ccoop,

GREAT JOB! :emotion-21: Glad you got it working. Finding the 64-bit drivers is a little tricky and I didn't realize that they were in Japanese. If you can remember, could you post the link to the English Drivers for the 725 printer.

Thanks,

Rick

No Events found!