Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 9th, 2016 19:00

HP LaserJet 6P won't print in Windows 7 Pro

I just purchased the Inspiron 3250 because it featured Windows 7 Pro.  (I much prefer Win 7 to Windows 10).  I want to continue using my HP 6P which I love.  After spending two lengthy sessions with Dell Support, I still can't get it to print.  The printer is recognized by the OS and shows it as the Default Printer.  When I select "Print" from either Word or my email program, I don't get any error messages. When I check the queue, the document is in there waiting to be printed, but it never gets sent to the printer. I have downloaded the supposedly correct printer from Microsoft's web site.  HP says to us the updated driver for 64 bit machines as provided by Microsoft.  What is wrong and what do I need to do, other than tossing my workhorse printer and go buy a new one?

• 

17K Posts

August 11th, 2016 11:00

Frustrated Hugh,

I found this information below. Hopefully, it will get your issue resolved.

If you come across the Printing issue where  You won't be able to print  only Microsoft Office documents, or printing documents disappear in Windows 7.

It caused by the security settings changes on the user profile. You may either create a new user, login with the new user profile to install the printer

Or Turn off the UAC from the control panel and Restart the PC. Here is the steps how to configure UAC

Turn User Account Control on or off

User Account Control (UAC) can help prevent unauthorized changes to your computer. UAC notifies you when changes are going to be made to your computer that require administrator-level permission. These types of changes can affect the security of your computer or can affect settings for other people that use the computer. We recommend that you leave UAC on to help make your computer secure.
  1. Open User Account Control Settings by clicking the Start button 
    Start button icon
    , and then clicking Control Panel. In the search box, type uac, and then click Change User Account Control settings.
  2. Do one of the following:
  • To turn off UAC, move the slider to the Never notify position, and then click OK. 
    Administrator icon
     If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation. You will need to restart your computer for UAC to be turned off.
  • To turn on UAC, move the slider to choose when you want to be notified, and then click OK. 
    Administrator icon
     If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

No Events found!