Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 20th, 2009 21:00

Help with 926 All-in-One printer

I need help with a recurring problem: I replace my #9 black ink cartridge with a new Dell unit, remove the tape and securely mount the cartridge in the printer. The printer obviously recognizes that a new cartridge has been installed because the little "black ink cylinder" shows up as being full. I attempt to align the heads & two thick black lines appear along with a whole series of blue ones. After each page prints it says that  there is a problem & to either remove the tape from the unit (which has been done) or check troubleshooting (which offers no help whatsoever!). After wasting several pages and more than enough ink I am again frustrated with this printer.  I have tried unplugging the unit from both the "brick" and the wall, to no avail. If I try to print anything the color text shows up just fine and all the black text is simply blank. Is there something I'm missing or should I be looking for a better quality printer?

This is now the second time I'm going through this process. The last time I changed the black cartridge I encountered the same problem and I have no idea what prompted my printer to correct itself after a few days of being down and start working on its own. Is this normal or was it an act of God? Why is it so difficult to change a printer cartridge and continue printing?

47 Posts

October 20th, 2009 22:00

DPPHX - Jeff again, just FYI , I assume you are using Dell High-Capacity Black cartridges. If not, they are only $4.00 than a Standard-capacity cartridge. Here's the link, just in case.

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/products/Printer_Accessories/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&cs=19&sku=310-8386

47 Posts

October 20th, 2009 22:00

DPPHX - I am Jeff. Have you tried cleaning the printer-contacts, either thru the Dell Printer Toolbox or MANUALLY. Remove the cartridge and check the printer-contacts with a magnifier. If you don't have your User Manual, you can get it thru Dell support Center.

Hope this helps, let me know...

Jeff

47 Posts

October 22nd, 2009 00:00

DPPHX

- Jeff again

Have you had any luck with this issue? If not let me know...

Jeff

4 Posts

November 19th, 2009 13:00

Jeff,

I too just purchased new High Capacity cartridges and I'm getting the same error.  Remove tape.  Which I did.  I go thru this everytime I want to print a document.

2 Posts

December 1st, 2009 19:00

This is happening to me also, any resolution for you yet?  i am thinking about just getting another printer, had about enough of this.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

December 2nd, 2009 01:00

kenelkins,

Unplug the printer from the wall. Now remove the power brick from the back of the printer for 60 seconds. Plug everything back in. This will reset any error messages the printer has.

Power on the printer. Open the printer and take out the Dell Series 9 Black cartridge. make sure all the tape is off the cartridge and put the cartridge back in. Now do the same for the Dell Series 9 color cartridge.

You are using Dell Series 9 ink cartridges, correct?

Dell Series 9 ink cartridges have a sensor in them that cannot be reset. Article on refilling Dell ink cartridges.

Dell Series 9 ink cartridges can be purchased at Staples, Walmart or Dell's Website.

Black cartridge = black side(left side)          Color cartridge = color side(right side)

Photo cartridge = black side(left side)          Color cartridge = color side(right side) 

It is possible to get a Dell Series 9 cartridge with a bad sensor. Contact the place of purchase for a replacement.

Rick

1 Message

December 2nd, 2009 13:00

Do not hesitate to suspect the cartridge itself.  There are a lot of defective cartridges out there, especially those that have been refilled.  Contact the seller immediately, they are familiar with this problem.  My vendor replaced my cartridge immediately, with no complaint..

4 Posts

December 8th, 2009 01:00

Rick,

Tried as you suggested unplugged printer and removed the power brick and still have the same alignment error.

Yes, I have the correct cartridges - $78.42 for three black.  I agree with others I think I would be better off to purchase a printer that I can buy my cartridges at a local discount store.  I'm not please with Dell printer or cost of cartridges or performance.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

December 8th, 2009 02:00

Jack425,

You can purchase them at Staples and Walmart. It is possible to get a Dell Series 9 ink cartridge with a bad sensor. Take it to the place of purchase for a replacement.

Rick

4 Posts

December 8th, 2009 03:00

Rick,

I also tried a second (new) cartridge -- same problem.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

December 8th, 2009 08:00

Jack425,

Can you copy a document when you put it under the glass? B&W and color?

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

December 12th, 2009 14:00

Jack425,

Short and sweet answer. I had to scroll to fing out what you can do!

Since you can copy a document, the it's not the printer. Try reinstalling the drivers using the instructions located at...

926 Photo All-In-One Printer owners thread (W7)

Rick

4 Posts

December 12th, 2009 14:00

Yes, I can.

No Events found!