Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 12th, 2012 14:00

Installing 966 AIO Printer

Have Studio 1537 64-bit Dell Laptop using Home Premium Vista.

All updates for Vista are installed.

Unable to install printer.  Downloaded Driver installation wizard but unable to get the wizard to recognize the USB port.

Reach window in wizard where it says connect your printer.   Have tried everyway I can think of.   Have restarted computer.   Have cut off printer and tried again.

Have restarted computer with USB cord connected or unconnected.

Obtained driver from applicable dell website.

Can not get past the window in the wizard that says Connect Your Printer.   The Next Button does not become an option.

The driver I installed is \dell\drivers\R165704

Have checked to make sure the USB ports are active..

Thank you for any help.:emotion-1:

25 Posts

July 16th, 2012 07:00

Problem is solved.   Thank you for your input.   After several days and mounting frustration after trying each of the above steps it dawned on me:emotion-18: that the problem was the printer was not communicating with the computer.   All the info with my computer stated that if a device was plugged into the USB port the computer would recognize it and find the appropriate software.  I checked the connection again and found I had mistakenly put the USB cord into the fax plug on the back of the printer.   When I plugged it into the correct printer port the computer instantly recognized it and found the appropriate software.  I think how could I not have figured that out sooner?  but the good news is the printer is now working fine.  :emotion-2:

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

July 12th, 2012 15:00

wertie,

Did you install/reinstall the operating system recently?

Rick

25 Posts

July 12th, 2012 18:00

No - the operating system dates from the time of purchase.   This is the first time I have attempted to hook up the printer.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

July 12th, 2012 19:00

wertie,

I forgot to ask, wireless print adapter or usb cable connection for the printer?

If wireless adapter, make and model of your wireless router and the type of secutiy you're using. What channel?

What virus program are you using?

25 Posts

July 13th, 2012 06:00

USB Cable connection to printer.  Using Microsoft Essentials for anti virus.   Wizard said it would allow connection through firewall.   Thanks Rick.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

July 13th, 2012 08:00

wertie,

First run Delete Print Jobs to remove any stuck print jobs from the queue.

Disconnect the printer.

Download and run the patch(printer cleanup utility) until it prompts you to restart your computer.

Restart the computer. Make sure the printer was removed. Manual Printer Driver Removal

Download the proper drivers. Install the drivers, you'll get a message, the printer is not connected. Connect the printer at this time(powered on)

Links to the patch/drivers can be found at...

Dell 966 Photo All-In-One Printer owners thread (W7)

Try reading...

Allow Printer past Microsoft Essentials

Rick

25 Posts

July 13th, 2012 11:00

Have tried these steps with no success.  May have something to do with Windows Firewall settings.   Checked file and printer sharing to allow an exception but perhaps I need to check something else?

21 Posts

July 13th, 2012 14:00

Hi,

Welcome to the community,

Check in device manger under universal serial bus controllers, if USB printing support is getting recognized or not

if USB printing support is getting detected then run the s/w wizard and it should automatically detect the printer

if USB printing support is not getting recognized then check the USB cable connection and you can try change the cable too, if replacing the cable still do not help the printer detect in device manager as USB printing support, then there can be mechanical issues with the printer

if the printer is not getting recognized try disabling the USB enhanced host controller and reenable it, perform this step in device manager under universal serial bus controller

then check the set up and the printer should work

Alok Kar

Dell | Social Media Outreach | Global Social Media & Community

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

July 13th, 2012 16:00

wertie,

First run Delete Print Jobs to remove any stuck print jobs from the queue.

Disconnect the printer.

Download and run the patch(printer cleanup utility) until it prompts you to restart your computer.

Restart the computer. Make sure the printer was removed. Manual Printer Driver Removal

Go to device manager(right click my computer, left click properties, left click hardware, left click device manager)

Go to the USB Controller section and click the + sign.

Starting at the bottom, USB Root Hubs, and working your way to the top, USB Universal Controllers, un-install everything in that section.

Restart your computer. Windows will find everything again and correct the problem one. Please be patient. The new hardware wizard may work 3-5 minutes before it's done.

Download the proper drivers. Install the drivers, you'll get a message, the printer is not connected. Connect the printer at this time(powered on)

Links to the patch/drivers can be found at...

Dell 966 Photo All-In-One Printer owners thread (W7)

Try reading...

Allow Printer past Microsoft Essentials

Rick

25 Posts

July 15th, 2012 18:00

Tried this twice going through each step and no success.  It is not in the USB cord to the printer because that worked fine with my desktop computer.  The wizard gets to the step of connecting the USB cord and I do that but NEXT button will not work.  Is it possible that my firewall is still blocking access?  What other options are there to get the printer working - does Dell offer online paid support?   Prefer of course to figure it out by forum support but am open to suggestions.   Thank you for any additional help options.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

July 16th, 2012 11:00

wertie,

Glad you got it working! :emotion-21: Thanks for posting back.

Take care,

Rick

25 Posts

July 16th, 2012 14:00

Yes Rick a relief and thanks again for your help.

No Events found!