Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 19th, 2009 16:00

On Vista, "Communication Not Available" error since last Dell or Windows update in December '08

Have Vista and all was well untill applying last updates from Windows and Dell in December, now my wireless 3300 and 964 printer no longer work.  Have run the patch and reloaded the drivers etc., and it always works once after setup, untill you reboot, then it gets the "Communication Not Available" error.  My daughter has same HP machine with Vista and I have not applied the Dell update in December along with a few other updates for example for nvidia, and her's still works fine over the wireless network at home.  Cannot seem to see how to backout the updates and like I said reinstalling everything only works once, not after rebooting.  Thanks 

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 19th, 2009 22:00

thatz,

The biggest problem people make is to have Microsoft update their drivers. That's like having the Maytag repairman fix your automobile. Getting the Windows updates is great but Microsoft offers either out of dat drivers or the do not install properly, which is the case with your computer.

Option one would be to use system restore and go back to the last restore point before the updates, then disable updating drivers. If that doesn't work, then the next ting to do is re-install everything. I have a 964 and it's attached to a 3300 and I have 4 laptops, 2 XP, 2 Vista and they connect flawlessly.

Fix your wireless router first.

Update the firmware in your wireless router. Manufacturer's website, make & Model needed.

Broadcast SSID(You may want to change this to make it easier to connect)

Use WPA-PSK(TKIP) Security(WPA Personal). Most wireless devices work best with this type of security.

Mixed b and g mode(n if available)

Use channels 1 or 11. Most devices work better on these channels.

Save and exit. Power everything off for 30 seconds. Power everything back on, wait 30 seconds, now try to connect.

After router is done, now setup your wireless print server/printer.

3300 Utility

3300 Firmware

Attach the 3300 to your computer using the USB Cable and insert the 3300 disk. Follow the instructions. It should ask you for the network ID, type of security and password.

Now for the printer. Download and run this patch to completely remove the printer from your computer.

Restart your computer.

Download the proper drivers.

XP Drivers

Vista 32-bit Drivers

Vista 64-bit Drivers

All other drivers

Install the drivers, choose network, choose I'm using a wireless print server(if you do not see this, then choose add printer and you should see it then) and follow the instructions.

Scanning

Scanning using USB connection, open the Dell All-In-One Center, click on scanning and copying and scan from there.

Scanning wirelessly, use the scan buttons on the printer

Rick

2 Posts

January 20th, 2009 20:00

Thanks for the reminder tip on using system restore, did that and its back to working!  Won't be letting MS update others drives again.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 20th, 2009 21:00

thatz,

Thanks for posting back. Could you mark the verify answer(s) that helped you solve your problem, so if someone else searches the forums, they can see what you did to fix your problem(s).

Thanks,

Rick

No Events found!