Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 6th, 2009 18:00

Photo 944 Paper Jam Unless the printer is on it's back.

Hello.  I am new to this forum.  I bought a Dell Photo 944 for $10 at a garage sale.  It scans, it copies, it's in color.  Everything is wonderful - but - the paper jams.  It feeds on the left side only - or it just runs the rollers for a while - or it says i'm out of paper when there is paper there.

So i went to different places - not just here and read - turn the printer upside down and shake, shake, shake.  Air blow it.  Or play with a little level which is to the right of center under the silver bar which is the paper jam switch.  Use heavy stock paper and put it forward and also gently force the paper backwards - all sorts of other things too.  I have done all these things.  So interestingly I was doing all this and this is what i found out.  If I put the printer upright on it's back (standing on it's end with the electrical connection on the bottom) - the printer and rollers work fine - and everything prints fine.  But when I put the printer in it's normal position - it jams or cockeyes the paper to the left.  So I think there is some sort of positional switch or sensor that i can't quite see which is causing this jamming situation when it's flat on the table like it should be.  I have not taken the thing apart screws and tabs wise - because i know i would just break the thing - so i'm hoping someone could tell me where this positional sensor is.  I mean, i guess if i was desperate i could print each separate page holding the printer on it's back - but boy, that really sounds stupid to do.

From all the comments i read here it seems kind of useless to call Dell support - especially since it sounds like i have to pay for it - which seems really rude and money-grubbing to me on Dell's part.  But if anyone can tell me where to look for this positional sensor I would be most grateful.  I can hear something flipping when i turn the thing - so i'm thinking a spring or something popped off maybe.  well, whomever - thanks for any help beforehand (hoping that someone answers) 

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

September 6th, 2009 22:00

Cjgager,

I'm not really good at roller problems. I'm going to suggest you take a look at the encoder strip.

Rick

Clean the Encoder Strip

Additional Information
Notice:  
  As you perform the following steps, be careful when handling the encoder strip as it can break easily.  

It is possible that dust can gather on the encoder strip which will make it very difficult for the printer to determine where the carriage is on its track. To clean the encoder strip, perform the following steps:

1. Power down the printer and unplug the power.
  2. Lift the cover on the printer.
  3. Using a dry, lint free cloth, pinch the encoder strip on the right-hand side of the cartridge carriage and pull your fingers across it toward the right-hand side of the printer (Figure 1).

Figure 1: The Encoder Strip to the right of the cartridge carrier

Note:  
      The encoder strip is a narrow band of clear plastic and can be difficult to see without direct lighting.  
  4. Plug in the printer and power it on.
  5. Open the cover to allow the cartridge carriage to center itself.
  6. Using a dry, lint free cloth, pinch the encoder strip on the left-hand side of the cartridge carriage and pull your fingers across it towards the left-hand side of the printer. (Figure 2).

Figure 2: The encoder strip to the left of the cartridge carrier

September 29th, 2009 15:00

It may be that you just have overall dirty rollers. I found a solution for a similar problem I had. It was with Brother HL-2040 but it sounds awfully familiar.

Here is how I solved my problem today: http://annoyances-resolved.blogspot.com/2009/09/paper-jam-buy-new-laser-printer.html

No Events found!