Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 21st, 2009 19:00

Photo AIO 964 and Vista 64-bit

I've been having a tough time getting this printer and this computer (a new Studio 540) to cooperate.  At first it worked OK, after installing it using the Windows automatic installer.  Then I set up printer sharing.  As soon as I would send a document across the network to be printed, the print spooler would quit sending documents to the printer.  Then I had a near impossible time uninstalling the printer so that I could start over.  Now it hardly works at all.  Using the Dell installer (the Vista 64-bit version I downloaded from the Dell website), the printer was able to print a test page, but as soon as I tried anything else, I would get one of the following errors:

Enable bidirectional printing! (Windows Explorer)

Unspecified error! (Firefox)

Unable to communicate with the printer! (Firefox)

Unable to communicate with the printer! (Dell AIO Control Center app)

I've rebooted the computer several times and done several different installs, using different drivers.  I used the Dell Printer Removal patch thing that PudgyOne recommends in all of his posts.  I've read through the Support forums archives, but all the posts I've seen that are near applicable to my hardware seem to be unresolved.  I have NOT done the whole Uninstall all your USB hosts! thing, but I doubt that's the problem.  I HAVE checked the cables between the printer and computer and I HAVE upgraded the printer firmware.

Please help me, if it is at all possible.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

April 21st, 2009 20:00

ahatfield1,

Let's try this one more time by following the instructions carefully. The printer need to be connected with a USB Cable to install the firmware.

First, let's make sure your computer has the latest Windows Updates, especially.net framework, needed to run many applications and the latest Java.

Download and run this patch to completely remove the printer from your computer. Right click on the patch, left click run as administrator.

Run the patch(A MUST on Vista Machines) until it prompts you to restart your computer.

Restart your computer.

Download the proper drivers.

XP Drivers

Vista 32-bit Drivers

All other drivers

Vista 64-bit Drivers

Install the proper drivers. You'll be prompted when to connect your printer(powered on) Please use a 5ft USB Cable or smaller. If the printer doesn't want to install, try using a different USB Port.

Please remember to install the latest firmware for the 964 printer.

As for scanning, if you have the disk that came with the printer, then insert the Printer disk and stop it from running. Go to My Computer and double click on it. Look for the drive with the Dell disk in it. Right click on it, left click explore. Look for the OCR Folder. In the OCR Folder, there is an Abbyy Folder. right click on setup.exe, that's in the Abbyy Folder and left click run as administrator. This will install the OCR program.

Or

Try this FREE OCR Program.

Scanning

Scanning using USB connection, open the Dell All-In-One Center, click on scanning and copying and scan from there.

Scanning wirelessly, use the scan buttons on the printer.

Let me know what happens

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

April 25th, 2009 14:00

ahatfielld1,

I have a Vista 32-bit system and I have my 964 printer attached to a Dell Wireless Printer Adapter 3300. I do notice, from time to time, that a print job does occasionally stay in there until I restart my computer, don't know why. I have had my 964 and 3300 for about 5 years with no problems other than that. Maybe tweaking the USB Ports and the wireless cards in all the computers might help, it will help to prevent the loss of communications with any of the devices.

Go to device manager(right click my computer, left click properties, left click hardware, left click device manager)

Go to the USB Controller section and click the + sign.

Go to each USB Root Hub and right click on it, left click properties, left click power management. Uncheck the box, allow computer to turn off this device to save power.

Restart your computer.

--------------------------------------

Go to device manager(right click my computer, left click properties, left click hardware, left click device manager). Click on Network and then right click on your wireless adapter, left click properties, power management. Uncheck the box, allow computer to turn off this device to save power.

Rick

5 Posts

OK, I did a System Restore and did all that stuff again.  The System Restore cleared out the bad drivers I had installed in my quest to get the printer to function normally.  I was able to reinstall with the latest 64-bit driver and firmware, and the printer and scanner now work fine - as they originally did.  However, I tried sending a document across the network to print (after setting up print sharing, of course), and the same problem as before showed back up.  The document went into the print queue, but never came out of the printer.  I opened the print spool window in Printers, and the document status was reported as "Deleting - sent to printer."  I let it sit like this for about a day, for good measure.  Alas, it never printed and the printer was listed as having one document in queue today.  I rebooted, and the document disappeared.  I tried printing locally again, and it worked fine.

I don't understand why there would be such a huge fuss over network printing.  We had it working fine on our old network.  I'm guessing that the problem lies in the difference between the networks is the root cause of this problem: our old network was homogeneously 32-bit whereas our new network has a 64-bit machine as the print server and the original 32-bit client machines.

Any help?

5 Posts

My printer isn't on a wireless adapter; it's hooked up to a computer that is on the network and acts as a print server.  I'll give your idea a try though and see what happens.

5 Posts

April 25th, 2009 15:00

No luck.  It still reports the document status as "Deleting - sent to printer" when a network print job is sent and never prints the job.  This leads me to believe that the problem lies somewhere between the computer that acts as a print server and the printer itself. 

As a point in note, the only device that had the "turn off to save power" box checked was the NIC anyhow.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

April 25th, 2009 15:00

ahatfield1,

On all my computers that I get, I use the USB Tweaks on I also use the tweaks for my Wireless network adapter and even the ethernet controller, this way the computer(s) don't turn off the device to save power, thus keeping everything connected.

Rick

3 Posts

June 18th, 2009 15:00

I am having the same problem printing from a 32-bit XP box through my  vista 64 box. I have tried all options including using spooling, direct printing, using the client to render and my machine, etc... I know there is a connection because it instantly pops up in the print queue on mty vista system when i print fromt he 32-bit. I get the same "Deleting - Sent to Printer" mesage. Did anyone ever find a solution to this?? I did all my installation using the add printer dialogue and not the CD but have since tried the network installaiton feature of the driver but it could not resolve and find the printer. Any help is appreciated.

PS I am using the latest drivers from Dell.

5 Posts

June 18th, 2009 17:00

It didn't work for me.  I ended up buying a new printer, which still didn't solve the problem, and then deciding that network printing isn't worth it.  It seems to be a problem of the 32-bit computer not wanting to release control back to the 64-bit print server.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

June 18th, 2009 17:00

sm0ke42o,

But did you use the Vista 64-bit drivers I have listed above? These drivers were NOT found on the drop down menu on Dell's driver download for the 964 printer?

Rick

:emotion-55:Hint:emotion-55: Follow the instructions above in the post to: ahatfield1, it does work. I have a 964 printer connected to a Studio 15 64-bit system. If you have problems, please start a new thread with the information I asked for below. Thanks.

3 Posts

June 19th, 2009 07:00

I used the 64-bit driver link you provided. Initally Vista installed using whatever drivers it had in the system files for that printer. I ran the patch and started to install the new vista 64 drivers but got side-tracked installing Windows 7 RC. I will work on this when I get home this evening and let everyone know if it works.

No Events found!