Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 25th, 2008 13:00

Postscript Drivers for Windows Me/Windows 98

Dell does not provide drivers for older operating systems and I was having a hard time printing to my Dell 3110cn over a network connection from a Windows Me machine.  I finally got a working solution, so I am posting with the hopes that this may be helpful to others having the same problem.  I think this solution would also work for Windows 95 and Windows 98 machines.

I went to the Lexmark support website and searched for drivers for a color laser printer.  I selected the first printer in the list (don't worry about which printer you select, because you will eventually download a generic driver).

The next screen asked for the operating system, and I selected Windows Me.  Other options include Windows 95 and Windows 98, if you are looking for drivers for those systems.

I was then provided a list of generic drivers that work with Windows Me.  I downloaded the file Lexmark_UD0_9xNT_Drivers_en.exe (26.07 MB), which is the Lexmark Universal Driver System Administrator Package for Windows 95, 98, Me, and NT 4.0.

I selected the Lexmark Universal PS printer. The default port is LPT1, but for the network printer, you need to add a new port.  Choose standard IP as the port type.  For the Port Name, I used 3110cn, but you can use whatever name you want.  Enter the printer IP address in the IP Address/Hostname (my IP address was 192.168.1.201).  Click finish to install the driver.

I was finally able to connect to the printer to print a test page, but the output was in black and white and the graphics were not printing correctly.  To fix this, I downloaded the generic postscript driver from adobe.  The file was located at ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/printerdrivers/win/1.x/winsteng.exe (other languages are available in the same directory).  When installing the adobe driver, I set it up as a local printer that used the same port that was set up for the Lexmark Universal PS printer (in my case, 3110cn).  The Adobe Generic Postscript Printer is now set up to print color directly to the network printer.

No Responses!
No Events found!