Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 25th, 2011 21:00

Problem installing drivers for Dell Photo AIO Printer 922

I downloaded and installed driver updates from Microsoft's Updates page. This caused my computer to be unable to find my printer drivers. Submitted help request to Microsoft. Request was acknowledge, ignored for 2 weeks, and closed by Microsoft.

Found Dell knowledge base article KB-289475 with instructions for downloading and installing drivers. Followed instructions in article to download and unzip 922ENA04.exe.. Got message that drivers were already installed and recommending updating drivers. Chose to update drivers. Got message that setup was complete. Tried to print, but printer drivers weren't found. Tried restarting computer. No joy. Started over from uninstalling printer, then unzipping the file downloaded.file again. Again was told that drivers were already installed. This time, tried chosing to install another copy. Installation ran okay. Restarted computer when prompted. Got message that setup was complete. Tried Test page. No joy. Started over a third time. This time, not only were the desktop icons for printer supplies removed during the uninstall process, but the file to which the AIO icon pointed was removed. Upon unzipping the exe file again, got the same message stating that the drivers were already installed. Chose to update drivers. Got prompted to restart computer. Did so. Got message that setup was complete. Pugged USB cable back into printer, turned printer on and clicked the button to print a test page. Got error message: Dlbtjscwx.exe has encountered a problem and needs to terminate. Sent report to Microsoft, then closed the error message window. At that point, the test page printed. Clicked Finish to close out update program. Opened Word document. Tried to print. Got same error message. Page printed only after I closed the error message window. Checked available printers. Found Dell AIO and Dell AIO (2). At this point, I can't scan because the file to open the AIO center has been deleted but not reinstalled, and I can't print without first getting an error message, then closing it.

Help! - J. Deruss

(My computer is a Dell Inspiron 6000 with added RAM, running XP Pro with service pack 3.)

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

February 26th, 2011 09:00

J. Deruss,

First run Delete Print Jobs to remove any stuck print jobs in the queue

Disconnect the printer.

Download and run the patch(printer cleanup utility) until it prompts you to restart your computer.

Restart your computer.

Now get out the Dell 922 Printer disk and install the printer. You'll get a message, the printer is not connected. Connect the printer at this time(powered on)

Links to the patch can be found at...

Dell 922 Photo All-In-One Printer owners thread (W7)

Rick

10 Posts

February 26th, 2011 11:00

Rick, Thank you for helping me. I'm still having trouble. Here's what I've done:

Created and ran DeletePrintJobs.exe, per instructions in the link you provided. The menu which opened as a result of right-clicking the file saved to the desktop didn't have the option "run as administrator", so, since I'm doing this from an account with administrator privileges, I ran it by double-clicking it. It appeard to run okay.

Restarted my computer.

Turned off my printer and removed the USB cable.

Downloaded and ran the printer cleanup utility from the link you provided.

Restarted my computer.

Inserted the Dell Photo All-In-One Printer 922 disk. It did not autostart.

Opened My Computer. Found setup.exe on the CD. Ran setup.exe by double-clicking it.

Install Software window opened. Clicked Install. Selected "Typical Install".

Got message stating that the software was already installed, and suggesting that I update the drivers by clicking Next.

Clicked Next.

Dell Photo AIO Printer 922 Installation window opened. Program ran through checklist. It checked off "preparing system for install", "transferring software", and "installing software", then the window closed. It did not check off "detecting printer", at least not that I could see.  I did not receive the prompt "printer is not connected" as expected.

The printer remains off, with USB cable disconnected from the printer. Should I also disconnect it from the computer?

I ejected the Dell 922 printer disk.

Checked Start>Settings>Printers.& Faxes. The printer list shows "Dell Photo AIO Printer 922 (2)".

Checked Start>Programs. Dell Printers no longer is shown.

Checked My Computer. Found C:\Program Files\Dell Photo AIO Printer 922. It contains only one folder, \Drivers.

The drivers folder contains a single folder (\English) and many files. All the files have the last letter of the file extension replaced with the underscore symbol. The same is true of all the files in the folder \English.

For example, the file that should be dlbtaiox.exe actually is dlbtaiox.ex_. Modification dates for all the files are 2004 or earlier.

I was temped to delete Dell Photo AIO Printer 922 (2) from Printers and Faxes, but figured that since you're kind enough to help me, it would be better if I didn't free-lance.

What should I do next?

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

February 27th, 2011 09:00

J Deruss,

Sorry for the delay, my weekend to work.

First option is to use system restore to go back to the time before the windows update for the printer. If this doesn't work, then...

Run Delete Print Jobs, disconnect the printer.

Run the patch(printer cleanup utility)

Restart when prompted. Make sure the printer is removed.  Manual Printer Driver Removal

Thos should give you a clean slate to work with. If you can find any Dell 922 folders or under

C:\dell\drivers

find the drivers that were installed for the printer, delete this folder, too.

Was the operating system recently installed? If so, need to correct issues before installing the printer.

Rick

10 Posts

February 27th, 2011 21:00

Hi, Rick. Delay? I'm delighted you got back to me within a day. I'm gratefully aware that you're helping me as a volunteer and on your own time.

We have success!

I really didn't want to restore the system to an earlier state. It may be superstition, but every time I've seen that done, problems have ensued, so I decided to try your option 2 advice, finding and removing all the 922 folders and drivers, manually if necessary. It's taken me all day, but it worked, and the all-in-one center has been reinstalled successfully. I do have a couple of follow-up questions. If I should start new threads for these questions in this or some other forum, please let me know. Otherwise, here they are:

The 922 drivers and utilites disk I used to re-install the printer is from 2004. Should I update the drivers? If so, what's the best way to do that?

I think one reason initial attempts to clean things up using the cleanup utility were only partially successful is that I couldn't run the program as administrator. I was running it as a user with administrator privileges, and hadn't realized I needed to uncheck the option to protect the system from unauthorized changes. I couldn't run the program as administrator because I needed a password to do that. I have no record of ever having assigned a password to the administrator account. Is there a default administrator password? If not, is there a forum where I can go to get advice about how to find out what the password is, or how to change it?

In re-installing the AIO center, Dell Picture Studio v.2 was installed. I already had, and still have, Dell Picture Studio v.3. Are you aware of any problem with having both versions at the same time?

Thank you again for your help. Without you, I'd never have gotten through this with both my sanity and my system intact. - J Deruss

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

February 28th, 2011 04:00

J Deruss,

The patch usually works. Run as administrator is with Vista/Windows 7 operating systems.

Windows Updates are GREAT for Windows ONLY. Microsoft sometimes offers either the wrong drivers and/or they get installed wrong, causing the devices to malfunction. If it ain't broke, don't try to fix it. If you have a problem, then post in a forum and ask before trying anything. Someone may have seen the problem and there may be an easy solution.

Don't use Dell Picture Studio. I use IrfanView to edit/resize my pictures.

If you have XP, restart the computer and tap F8. Then use the option to enter in the safe mode. You should then see an administrator account. Click on it and leave the password blank. You should be able to log in. I suggest you then put a password in that account.

If I wasn't so tired, I could have suggested trying Search Everything to find the printer files.

Rick

No Events found!