Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

G

February 10th, 2009 21:00

Scanned image is corrupt on 3115cn

Thank you for reading.

I am having a serious problem with the scanner on my 3115cn, and it has been getting worse. When I scan a document in black and white, the resulting image would have a "smeared" stripe about a couple inches in from the edge of the paper. The stripe itself is about a half inch wide.

I know it is the scanner because this happens whether I make a copy of the document as in scan then immediately print, or if I scan to my computer it also shows up on the screen. The printing works fine for files that come from the computer.

It happens regardless of whether I use the glass or the feeder. If I use the glass, the smeared area is closer to the right side of the image. If I use the feeder, the smear is closer to the left side, because the feeder flips the paper upside down with respect to the glass.

Now more recently the whole side of the image is becoming black, the black starts where the smear was before and everything to the edge of the paper is black.

Oddly, if I scan in color, the image improves but there is still a distortion in the image.

The glass and feeder are obviously clean and clear.

The unit is unfortunately out of warranty.

Has anyone seen this sort of thing before?

September 2nd, 2009 08:00

I've had a similar problem for more than a year. The distortion showed up about a month after my warranty expired. I find that a copies made in color are okay, but when I set the unit to black & white, I get a quarter-inch wide area of distortion about an inch from the side. At first, the distorted area moved inward from the edge over successive copies until it came to rest an inch from the edge. The "behavior" has been stable for a year now.

I'd like to resolve the issue, since black doesn't come out quite black when using the color setting. Also, there are times when I wish to copy a color item in black & white.

1.7K Posts

September 2nd, 2009 12:00

Does your's also "distort" the copy when using either the ADF or the flat-bed glass?

It seems very odd that the distorted area moved across the page.

No Events found!