Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 26th, 2008 05:00

Scanner Not Working

Hello,

I have a dell 924 'all in one' and both the printer and the photo copier work fine, however I can't scan.  When I select 'scan' and press the green button, absolutely nothing happens.  I haven't used this featuer for a few months but it used to work fine... now just no response.  I have re-installed the driver software, spent hours on the dell website (and downloaded another copy of the driver I think!) but not been able to find any possible solutions. 

I believe that when it did work, when I pressed the green button a 'scan' screen would come up on my computer... hence wondering if I am missing some software.  Perhaps accidentally deleted it?

Would appreciate any help.

Warm Regards

Leanne

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

June 26th, 2008 07:00

Disconnect your printer. Download and run this patch. It will remove the printer completely from your computer. Restart your computer.

Now go to drivers and downloads/select product/printers/select your printer. Download drivers.

Install your printer drivers. You'll be prompted when to connect it.

Scanning

Scanning using USB connection, open the Dell All-In-One Center, click on scanning and copying and scan from there.

Scanning wirelessly, use the scan buttons on the printer.

3 Posts

June 30th, 2008 04:00

Hello Pudgyone and thank you VERY much for your response~!

I have just now finished the process and YES, all works.  Not as it used to for some reason, but well enough to get the documents scanned and off to the accountant - phew!

Do sincerely appreciate your help. 

I did click on the green 'solution' tick however unfortunately it gave an 'authentication' error.  Please let me know if you need me to do anything to ensure that your response registers as very positive :smiley:

Warm Regards

Leanne

3 Posts

Sorry for not explaining better...

Firstly, I always use the USB - have wireless internet but not printing, so am 'hooked up' to the computer.

What used to happen was that I would see a preview of the document I had scanned in the Dell Centre and could do minor modifications to it in there.  (Mind you, before your help, the Dell Centre didn't appear at all so I am way in front here :)   I am not familiar with Paint Shop (which came up as a default) and so changed to word each time and this enabled me to 'print' to a pdf document.

So really it is just the 'preview' in the Dell centre that is different - and manageable.

Thanks again.

Cheers

Leanne

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

Can you explain...

Not as it used to for some reason, but well enough to get the documents scanned and off to the accountant - phew!

Not as it used to scan! Did you try using the green scan button, if USB connected? I add that post because people try using the Dell All-In-One Center to scan wirelessly and you need to use the buttons on some printers to scan wirelessly. I can't remember, because it's been a while, if I hit the scan button on the printer(964) when connected with USB, if it would automatically scan to my computer. I have a Dell wireless print adapter 3300 hooked to my printer(964) and print and scan wirelessly. Once in a great while I hook the laptop to the printer with USB, when I don't want the children to print while doing photos.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

Open the Dell All-In_one Center.

Click on copying and scanning.

Click on update the list of applications to send scans to.

Click on add in the upper right corner.

Browse to the program folder and find Microsoft Office and look for the Word.eve(Not sure what it's called)

Tell it to scan rtf. You can also change the order of the applications and the scan default. I scan to Microsoft Paint.(I scan a few pictures)

I also use Open Office(FREE version of Microsoft Office) and I scan to Open Office. Patch is like this for Open Office, should look similar for Microsoft Office.(C:\Program Files\OpenOffice.org 2.4\program\soffice.exe)

Yours might look something like...

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\program\word.exe

After you scan to Word, you can edit the documents like before. Actually after you add Microsoft Word to the Dell All-In-One Center, you may be able to open Word and scan from there.

No Events found!