Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 23rd, 2013 16:00

Unable to add shared Dell AIO 948 printer from XP to Windows 7

I had to replace my laptop (Inspiron R1510) hard drive, thus needing to reinstall lots of programs.  I have a Dell Dimension desktop (Windows XP) physically connected to a Dell AIO 948.  I would like to share that printer with my laptop (Inspiron R1510, Windows 7).  I have the work group set up, Windows 7 (Inspiron) can see the shared files of the desktop (XP).  When I go to Add a Printer, the wizard sees the printer, but then prompts me for the drivers.

I downloaded two sets of drivers and ran each .exe
R166514
R240956

without success.  Online chat with a Dell support person directed me to download

R241222

which I did and ran that .exe as well.  The wizard is still unable to find the proper drivers.  I would appreciate some step-by-step directions to accomplish this.

This is very frustrating because my laptop was communicating with the printer prior to the laptop hard drive failure.  I remember googling for a bit and finding an excellent step-by-step procedure.  I think there was mention of a tool provided by Dell to remove all previously installed printer drivers, but I can't find that particular tool by searching in the Dell software / download section.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you.

Janet

4 Operator

• 

2.6K Posts

April 23rd, 2013 21:00

Hi Janet,

Technical devices can seem complex initially; once we master them it’s a cake walk. I will assist and guide you to get to resolution.

Installing the drivers in the prescribed manner and starting the services necessary for the scanning application could resolve the problem.

Follow the below steps to reinstall the printer drivers in prescribed manner.

Please disconnect the USB cable that runs from the printer to the computer and uninstall the printer driver by using uninstaller software. Here is a link to download one.

http://bit.ly/VZKmEa

Install the software and uninstall the printer driver using the Advanced Uninstall option from the software. It is third party uninstaller software used to uninstall the drivers/programs from the computer.

The software prompts asking you to delete the Registry keys corresponding to the printer driver. Select all and delete them. Restart the computer to remove any traces of the printer software.

Perform the steps below and ensure that the services required for the printer to work are started.

1. Press the “Windows + R” to launch the run window.
  2. Type “Services.msc” in the run window and hit the Enter key.

Right click each service mentioned below, click properties. Set the startup type as “Automatic” from the drop down menu and click “Start”. Please click “Apply” to save the changes.

The services to be enabled are:

• Human Interface Devices (HID).
  • Printer Spooler.
  • RPC (Remote Procedure Call).
  • RPC Locator (Remote Procedure Call Locator).
  • Windows image acquisition (WIA).
  • Windows Installer.

If the system has antivirus/firewall software installed, please check with the firewall settings in the antivirus software and allow permissions for all the printer related programs in the firewall list.

If you do not have a cd use the following steps to download the printer drivers.

Download the printer driver from the link below.

http://dell.to/15FBs40

NOTE: Please do not connect the printer using the USB cable to the computer prior to installing the drivers.

Please click the above mentioned link,

1. Click Download file.
  2. Save the file to the desktop.
  3. Double-Click on the downloaded file.
  4. Click “Yes”, when the utility prompts to extract the files.
  5. Follow the onscreen instructions to complete the installation.
  6. Connect the printer using the USB cable when prompted.
  7. Try to print and check.

Please reply for further help.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

April 28th, 2013 19:00

Janet,

Make a system restore point. That way you can come back to what you have.

Try adding the printer through the network and see if it works.

Rick

April 24th, 2013 15:00

I will follow the exact steps as outlined and report back.  Due to my work schedule, this may take a few days.  Please don't think I've abandoned this thread.  I wish the reply ended with "And then you can disconnect the printer from the laptop, reconnect it to the desktop, and your laptop will now be able to connect to the printer through the home network, " since that was clearly stated  in my original query.  But I'll definitely get back to you.  Thanks for your prompt replies.  :)

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

April 24th, 2013 15:00

Janet,

Please continue with DELL-Nikhil D

Try reading...

Share Files and Printers between Windows 7 and XP this works both ways.

Remember virus programs and firewalls will block communications.

Rick

4 Operator

• 

2.6K Posts

April 27th, 2013 02:00

Hi Janet Terra,

Yes, I agree to what you said.

Since the drivers were not getting installed, I wanted to check if the printer is communicating with the laptop using wired connection first, so that we can go ahead and troubleshoot depending upon the status.

Please let me know the results.

April 28th, 2013 19:00

First, I apologize for the delay.   I wanted to be sure I had enough time to devote to the task without rushing.  I followed your instructions and was able to successfully print a test page, so the laptop is now communicating with the printer via wired connection.

Should I now go ahead and add the printer through the shared network?  I'll wait for further instructions just in case the procedure is something other than the conventional 'add a printer through a shared network.'

Thanks.  Janet

April 28th, 2013 20:00

Success!  The wizard found the drivers, installed, and printed a test page.  Thank you Nikhil and Rick.

4 Operator

• 

2.6K Posts

April 30th, 2013 02:00

Hi Janet,

Glad that the issue is resolved. I appreciate all your efforts in fixing the problem. In case of a similar situation in future, you can always refer to the link http://dell.to/YegVvF .

Feel free to reach out to us on SDC for any help.

This thread is locked, due to age.

If you need assistance, please create a new thread in the proper Dell Support Forum

Thank you

No Events found!