Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 22nd, 2014 10:00

V525W Scanner Communication Error

I have a Dell V525W printer which I use on a wireless network.  I updated my computer to Windows 8.1 and started having problems.  I reinstalled my printer software from the original CD.  I can print fine, but when I try to scan from either the computer or scanner I get a "computer connection error."  This is the same problem I had before I reinstalled the printer software.

Any ideas?

June 24th, 2014 06:00

Hi randybennett,

Welcome to the community, Install the Printer driver and application from the link below and check .

http://dell.to/1jKYvx5

http://dell.to/1miA7Yl

June 29th, 2014 13:00

Prasana, thanks.

Unfortunately, that did not solve the problem.  I continue to get "computer connection error" when I attempt to scan.  Any other thoughts?

Randy

1 Message

August 28th, 2014 11:00

Hello. I have exactly the same problem. I tried both fixes and neither one worked for me. I would appreciate any additional insights, too. Thank you. Wendy

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

August 28th, 2014 13:00

Randy,

Please continue with Dell-Prasanna B

Did you install the printer with the printer disk?

Is ABBYY FineReader 6.0 Sprint installed? (Start, all programs, ABBYY FineReader 6.0 Sprint, ABBYY FineReader 6.0 Sprint) This is needed to scan to documents, Adobe Reader and faxing.

Articles I have are...

Troubleshooting Setup for the Dell 525w and 725w AIO Inkjet Printers

and

Troubleshooting Network Problems on the Dell V525w and V725w AIO Inkjet Printers

Virus programs and firewalls will block communications.

Try these tweaks...

Start, control panel, device manager.

Go to the USB Controller section and click the + sign.

Go to each USB Root Hub and right click on it, left click properties, left click power management. Uncheck the box, allow computer to turn off this device to save power.

Restart your computer.

--------------------------------------

Start, control panel, device manager. Click on Network and then right click on your wireless adapter, left click properties, power management. Uncheck the box, allow computer to turn off this device to save power.

Rick

September 10th, 2014 21:00

Rick:

I appreciate your help but still not working.  I have ABBYY Fine Reader 9.0 installed.  Changed settings as you suggested.  Still get a communications error.

This has been an issue for awhile but now I recollect that this all started when I upgraded to Windows 8.1.  Couldn't find anything on the Microsoft site that would suggest an issue, but nothing that I've tried is working.

Randy

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

September 11th, 2014 17:00

Randy,

Please continue with Dell-Prasanna B

I would suggest reinstalling the printer, using the instructions below.

First run Delete Print Jobs to remove stuck print job(s) from the queue, then restart your computer.

Make sure the printer is not usb cable connected.

Hit the Windows key and the x keys at the same time, programs and features, your printer, uninstall.

Restart your computer. Make sure the printer was removed. Manual Printer Driver Removal

On the printer, click on the wrench, look for the setting to reset the wireless adapter to factory, then reset the wireless adapter.

With the computer online, insert the Dell Printer disk, choose new installation, network and follow the instructions.

Remember virus programs and firewalls will block communications. If you did not install any, then Windows Defender is the default. Try reading...

Allow Printer past Microsoft Essentials/Windows Defender

Rick

September 13th, 2014 16:00

Rick:  I've tried everything.   I uninstalled, re-installed.  Updated all of the drivers.  Update firmware.  Reset the adapter.  Nothing seems to work.  I can scan locally with a USB cable but not through the network.  Dell has been massively unhelpful (and uninterested).  Too bad.  I'm sure they could have gotten another $10K out of me in my lifetime, probably more with my kids' needs.

I appreciate your hand-holding.  I'm giving up.

19 Posts

January 13th, 2015 16:00

The problem is that the Lexmark certificate for Java expired in 2012.

What worked for me:

I made an exception for the printer's network address in Java. To do that, I'm pretty sure you need to run Java as administrator. I didn't try it the other way, but I've had no success getting Java to hold settings otherwise. I still had to uninstall and reinstall the whole mess (printer software), but it's working now.

Seriously, Dell needs provide instructions for updating the certificate or ask Lexmark to do it, because every function that depends on Java is useless without it.

For the everyday, garden variety scan connection failure, stopping and restarting the print spooler works. I have no idea why, but it's a lot simpler than rebooting the printer, computer and router (which is what I used to do until I happened on the print spooler solution by lucky chance.)

Also, when DKADGmon.exe quits unexpectedly, as it is wont to do all too frequently, I've created a shortcut, and I just restart it too. 

I think this is probably the last time I'll buy a printer from Dell. Nothing wrong with the printer, but the software is terrible, and I spend more time babying it than I do printing. 

2 Posts

October 28th, 2016 12:00

seriously annoying.....is all I can say about this problem. I followed this thread because I frequently have the same issue with my v525W. Will not scan, network communication error. So....I temporarily disabled AVAST (which I have previously granted firewall bypass and also disabled altogether) which did nothing. Followed every single tip in this thread and nothing. It is not some driver or certificate......this printer has randomly done this since I bought it, and after I fix it.....it ends up happening again. I am an avid techy and this is just *** software period. Dell has horrible support for issues like this......seriously....the worst.

No Events found!