Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 1st, 2009 10:00

Vista Print Spooler will not start automatically

Hello

Windows update has done something to my MS Vista SP1 32-bit laptop so that Print Spooler will not start automatically when my laptop is restarted.  No printers display as being installed.

I must manually restart the Print Spooler from the Management Console (as an administrator), even though it shows Print Spooler as an Automatic process. Once I do this the installed printers appear and work ok.

System restore does nothing to fix this. 

Assuming that drivers became corrupted, I deleted all my printers and reinstalled them.  This had no effect.

I am very afraid of editing the registry to try to fix this.  the last time this happened (due to installing Vista SP-2 ) registry edits that Microsoft support staff told me to do made my laptop completely inoperable.

Can anyone suggest a way to clean out the spooler and printer drivers, or something else, that might fix this?

Thanks

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

August 1st, 2009 12:00

bunburyes,

Make and model of your computer and operating system will be helpful. Also the make and model of the printer and how the printer is connected to the computer.

Rick

3 Posts

August 1st, 2009 13:00

Rick

It's an Dell Inspiron 1720.  Windows Vista Home Premium SP1.  I have a Canon S300 inkjet connected with a USB cable.  I also have the Bullzip program set up as a printer -- it lets me print to PDFs

A previous reply of yours to someone else showed me how to restart the Spooler manually and print things again, so thanks for that.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

August 1st, 2009 14:00

bunburyes,

First, I'd try re-installing the printer using these instructions.

Disconnect the printer.

Un-install the printer, Programs and features, add/remove programs.

Restart your computer.

Download the latest drivers for the Canon S300 Bubblejet Printer.

Install the proper drivers. You should be prompted when to connect the printer(powered on).

What happens now? s Afor the Bullzip program, I have Open Office installed on my computer and it will convers a Word Document into a pdf, if needed.

Rick

3 Posts

August 1st, 2009 17:00

I followed your instructions uninstalling both printer drivers, then reinstalling the Canon driver.  Then I rebooted to see if the Canon still appeared as an installed printer. It did! 

Thanks very much for your help.  Wish I had posted this problem on this forum when it happened before instead of contacting Microsoft.

I may still see what happens if I reinstall Bullzip. It's a very handy program, especially when you want to save a webpage article or confirmation as a PDF.

G

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

August 2nd, 2009 02:00

bunburyes,

Glad you got it working. If you install Bullzip, and the printer stops working, First restart your computer. The try re-installing the printer with Bullzip already installed, it may just work. If it doesn't work, then you know the programs conflict with each other.

Rick

No Events found!