Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 4th, 2009 17:00

could use some help with 922 aio

i have a 922 aio that i would like to have connected to my desktop but also be able to print from my wife's laptop.  i have downloaded the drivers from another thread and installed them.  at first, neither system could seem to really find the printer.  now after some tweaking, most programs seem to freeze while trying to print on both computers.

i would be happy to start completely over from scratch if it solves my problem so feel free to be as comprehensive as you would like.

thanks in advance

jj

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

March 5th, 2009 01:00

JJ,

First order of business is that you have the printer working correctly on the desktop and sharing. Please read this article.

Sharing a printer through a wireless network If you follow the basics, on the laptop, follow the instructions below. When you get to install the proper drivers, choose network, then choose add, select the printer is connected to a host computer and follow the instructions.

Please follow the instructions below and the printer should install for you. Please make sure you have all Windows Updates, especially .net framework(needed to run many applications) and the latest Java.

Disconnect your printer. Download and run this patch (a MUST with Vista machines, I would also run with XP) to completely remove the printer from your computer. Run the patch until it prompts you to restart your computer.

Restart your computer.

Download the proper drivers

XP Drivers

Vista 32-bit Drivers

Vista 64-bit Drivers

All other drivers

Install the proper drivers. You'll be prompted when to connect your printer(powered on) Please use a 4ft USB Cable or less.

Scanning

Scanning using USB connection, open the Dell All-In-One Center, click on scanning and copying and scan from there.

Scanning wirelessly, use the scan buttons on the printer.

Rick

5 Posts

March 7th, 2009 12:00

when i have uninstalled/reinstalled the printer, i get a new error.  it reads:

Communication Not Available

The printer cannot communicate with the computer.

Please turn on "Enable Bidirectional Communication" setting in the printer properties dialog.

when i go to printer properties, check the bidirectional communication box and hit apply i get nothing.  when i open up properties again, the box is no longer checked.  would a bad usb cable cause that?  driver file?

5 Posts

March 7th, 2009 12:00

rick

ok i will follow along step for step because i found your help from another topic worked for me when i had only one computer and no disc for my printer.  i do have a question before i get started though.  once i have all the former printer stuff removed, does it matter which computer i install first?  i still cannot figure why/how i messed it up the last time so im just trying to get as much info before i delve back in to my problem.  thanks.

jj

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

March 7th, 2009 13:00

JJ,

Are both computers connected to the internet using a wireless router? If so, then follow the instructions, even if both computers are wireed and/or wireless.

Are you going to connect the USB Cable to the printer evcerytime you want to print? If so, then don't select network.

Rick

5 Posts

neither computer is wirelessly connected, in case that matters.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

JJ,

Run the patch on both computers until it prompts you to restart your computer. On the Desktop first, install the proper drivers, try choosing network. Click add if there is no selection, if there is a selection then select this computer is the host computer and follow the instructions. Make sure to setup the printer for sharing.(Start, control panel, printers, right click on the printer, left click sharing and select sharing then follow the instructions.

Now on the laptop, install the proper downloaded drivers, select network, Click add if there is no selection, if there is a selection then select the selction where you want to share with a host computer and follow the instructions. Everything should hopefully work.

If it still doesn't work, then on the laptop only, since we know the desktop works, try Sharing a printer through a wireless network

Rick

Special note, 

There were issues with theses items, maybe you have one of these.

Dell Studio™ 1536 Is Unable to Print Documents and uninstall NVIDIA's Network Access Manager

5 Posts

March 7th, 2009 14:00

both computers are connected to a wireless router (both wired) and the printer will be connected by usb to the desktop.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

March 7th, 2009 15:00

JJ,

Disconnect the printer, run the patch until it prompts you to restart your computer. Restart your computer. You can install the proper drivers either way but it might work better choosing network. Then you have to setup your printer for sharing.

Now run the patch on the laptop, restart your computer. Install the proper drivers, choose network and then choose the printer is connected to a host computer and follow the instructions.

Rick

No Events found!