Highlighted
kingon8
1 Nickel

dell aio 946 no communication between printer and computer??

i have an insprion windows 7, and now when i try to print i get a pop up that says there is no communication between my pc and printer. i have tried: disconnecting/reconnecting cables, restarting, enabling bidirectional communication, checked firewalls, nothing....when i bought this pc i had to download a special vista patch which i had found on here and it worked for awhile and then something must have changed b/c it doesnt now, and so now i'm stuck, please help!

0 Kudos
17 Replies

Re: dell aio 946 no communication between printer and computer??

kingon8,

First run Delete Print Jobs to remove any stuck print job in the queue.

Disconnect the printer.

Download and run the patch(printer cleanup utility) until it prompts you to restart your computer.

Restart your computer. Make sure the printer is removed.
Manual Printer Driver Removal

Download the Vista 32-bit drivers for Windows 7 32-bit or the Vista 64-bit drivers for Windows 7 64-bit. Install the Vista drivers in the Vista
Compatibility mode You'll get a message, the printer is not connected. Connect the printer at this time(powered on).

Links to the patch/drivers can be found at...

Dell 946 Photo All-In-One Printer owners thread (W7)

Remember virus programs and firewalls will block communications.

Rick

#DellRockstar

What is a Dell Service Tag and how do I locate it? 

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

Welcome to Dell Community!

#DellWorld 2012

#DellWorld 2015

#DellEMCWorld 2016

#MicrosoftMVP - Windows Expert-Consumer April 1, 2012 to March 31, 2015

0 Kudos
kingon8
1 Nickel

rick, thank you so much for your reply, i have done everything as far as i could get to and so i'll tell you what i've done and maybe you can help me figure it out!

First run Delete Print Jobs to remove any stuck print job in the queue.

Disconnect the printer.

Download and run the patch(printer cleanup utility) until it prompts you to restart your computer.  

i did the above and still said there was no communication, i then tried to change compatibility mode to vista sp2 because i had realized i forgot to change it and that was probably why it still said "no communication"  although when i right clicked setup.exe and properties there was no "compatibilty" offered, i then typed in "compatibilty" on start search bar and clicked on "run programs made for previous versions of windows" and when it gets to where i select a program it wont let me select any program, it says not valid entry must end in .exe  i dont know how to find the file location for the printer set up to type in here so it ends here. any advice on what i'm doing wrong, or how to fix it? thank you much for your knowledge on this!

0 Kudos

kingon8,

Did you upgrade the computer to Windows 7? 32-bit or 64-bit? Operating system in English or another language?

Make and model of your computer.

What virus program and firewall are you using?

Rick

#DellRockstar

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

#DellWorld 2012

#DellWorld 2015

#DellEMCWorld 2016

0 Kudos
kingon8
1 Nickel

as far as my firewalls, i'm not sure, i am using kaspersky, and my pc is running windows 7  64-bit,  it's a dell inspiron

0 Kudos

kingon8,

Since you have the procedure, try reading...

Allow Printer past Kaspersky

Was the operating system install or reinstalled by you or did the computer come with Windows 7 64-bit?

Operating system in English or another language?

Rick

#DellRockstar

#DellWorld 2012

#DellWorld 2015

#DellEMCWorld 2016

0 Kudos
kingon8
1 Nickel

it came with windows 7 64 bit. when i first got the pc in february, i ran the vista patch on it w/o needing to do anything else and everything came on fine for awhile then it just started saying no communication, about the same time i started having issues for example on facebook i would try to click on video links and it just says the video is not available, try again later, but it never is available, this started the same time. i downloaded "win-mend" to try the registry cleaner and once i did it, my printer started working again for a few days and then it went back to no communication, so i've tried running win-mend again and it still doesnt work.  

0 Kudos
kingon8
1 Nickel

right now i am trying to remove printer again to retry everything, and a window has been up for a good half hour saying "removing device"

0 Kudos
kingon8
1 Nickel

cancelled print jobs so it is removed now, starting back at square one to see...

0 Kudos
kingon8
1 Nickel

operating system is in english

0 Kudos