Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

K

April 20th, 2013 09:00

installation of Dell c1660W color laser printer - would not print after initial sucessful installation.

I received my Dell C1660W color laser printer last Thursday.  The "Setting up your printer" instructions could have contained a bit more detail - like instead of simply saying - "Insert CD. Run Setup application."  It could have told you that the setup application was "Run setup_assist.exe" - NOT setup.exe.  Anyway, after correcting that error, the setup was pretty smooth, and everything was working fine.  The instructions in the manual also - in large letters - said not to connect the printer to a power strip.  I didn't understand why, but followed the directions. 

My computer is a Dell Vostro, using a Windows Vista Business OS.  The next day, I tried to print a page - and nothing happened.  The printer said that it was on and "ready", and had a document to print, but it wouldn't print.  The "toolbox"  would not display any information claiming that "Information was not acquired because the Status Monitor was running."  I spent the next three hours blindly following the "Trouble Shoot" directions in the printer's manual, turning the printer on and off, looking for ports, printer drivers, attempting to close down the Status Monitor, making sure the wireless was enabled, checking paper size, etc.  I was about to uninstall and reinstall, and decided to have a cigarette break.  I then thought about it, and it hit me that the printer was not plugged into my power strip with my other peripherals (which has surge protection), and that I had switched the printer "On" AFTER I had booted up the computer.  I went back, left the printer on, rebooted, and everything worked perfectly. 

I am just a legal secretary, with some computer knowledge acquired over the years by just working with computers.  I can see no reason for not having the printer plugged into the power strip, which automatically shuts down all my peripherals when the computer is shut down (and turns them on again when the computer is booting up.)  I wasted three hours yesterday, by following directions which did not not include this really simple "fix."  I attempted to vent my frustration with an email to Dell "support" and found that I could not do this for this printer.  Thus this post.    

1 Message

May 8th, 2013 15:00

I received my Dell C1660W today, and still have not been able to get it to print wirelessly.  Have followed the skimpy instructions, google'd, emailed support (which bounced), followed link to facebook page (which returned an error), and have pulled most of my hair out.  Anybody have an idea?  I have AT&T Uverse, which may be the problem.

1 Message

April 28th, 2014 03:00

Dell is stupid. I wasted lots of time setting up my Dell C1660w printer. for those who failed, go to this site for answer. That guy is good. without his advise, i was about to throw the printer out of the window!

Eventual solution was to use manual setup, type in network name, and specify "WPA-TKIP" for the type of PSK. Apparently the printer recognized my network as having PSK type "Mixed mode PSK" which somehow messed up the password. It's also possible there is some confusion as to whether my password is 10 hex digits or 10 ASCII characters.

One more tip: The Windows printer driver setup never seems to automatically find the IP address of the printer, so just let it search and fail (no stop search button) and then type in IP address manually (address may be found by printing network settings using printer control panel or using gateway HTTP interface.)

http://forums.att.com/t5/Residential-Gateway/Maybe-a-tip-for-Dell-C1660w-Color-Laser-wireless-setup/td-p/3638427

2 Posts

December 4th, 2014 12:00

NO I NEED   THE DISC to down load  the disc

2 Posts

December 4th, 2014 12:00

I need the disc for my C1660w to go to my3847 compute. I also have a 948. I need the cd for these two

printers . WHERECAN I GET THESE AND HOW MUCH DO THE COST?

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

December 4th, 2014 16:00

jimsstuff,

I can assist you with installing the Dell 948 printer, without any disks.

For the Dell C1660w printer, I'm not sure about the disks You may try calling Dell Tech Support unless the link for Request Backup Disks USA works. If not in the USA, you'll still need to contact Dell Tech Support.

Rick

No Events found!