Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 23rd, 2015 19:00

I can not install/use the online diagnostics tool of Dell.

I tried many times to install and use the complete system diagnostics on the support home page. Even the quick test does not work at all. It installs the Dell System Detect software. After that point it moves on to the Support Assist Client installation tab and remains stuck there forever. I tried many times. Installing uninstalling and every possible way to solve this but have no success. I need help if some one can solve it for me. The system auto detects my service tagg but that is all it does so far with me.

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

February 24th, 2015 13:00

You have to use Internet Explorer and allow the scan--firewall or security software might block it. Or just use the same diagnostics already on your hard drive in the boot menu. Post your model computer for directions or just look it up in your online manual. Newer models use F12 as soon as you reboot to get to the boot menu.

3 Posts

February 25th, 2015 09:00

Thanks for the reply. I tried to use IE also but no luck. I uninstalled the old Dell detect and used the IE but again on the third step the whole process halted...............My computers details are "Inspiron 15 (5547, Early 2014)" My OS is windows 8.1. I have tried the boot menu it clears the hardware tests with flying colors. The issue here is that why the website is not supporting the online tests. Is it only me or is it a common phenomenon for every one else? 

1 Message

March 12th, 2015 05:00

Hi, I've got the same happening here, it is stuck on SupportAssist Installation saying it is "Searching for updates...". I was in Chrome but I'm in IE now and I've temporarily turned my firewall off, still no luck.

3 Posts

April 1st, 2015 08:00

Same problem gets stuck and just stays there. Dell sure know how to drive you nuts.

4 Posts

August 30th, 2015 18:00

I have the exact same issue with a Dell Inspiron 620.  Some of my USB drivers stopped working after the last Windows update  (cannot use a flash drive or my multimedia cards).  I tried to use Dell's online diagnostics and it never gets past the "intsallation" phase.

September 26th, 2015 23:00

I've been trying to use the system diagnostics via the Support Assistant for about 5 hours now.  It gets to the "obtaining selected diagnostics" section and just stays there, forever.  I tried switching from Internet Explorer (which is what the Support Assistant opens itself in), to microsoft Edge, I tried using the diagnostics without going thru the Support Assistant icon. It just doesn't work, and from the look of things, they have had the same problem all year long, as your post is from February and my problem is in September.  Way to go Dell 

1 Message

October 5th, 2015 17:00

same here.  hoping somebody from dell sees this and posts a solution.  when i try manually installing support assist, it says "no updates available".  

October 6th, 2015 18:00

The main reason I was trying to work with the Support Assistant/Diagnostics is that DAILY I have to run a windows troubleshooter to connect to the internet.  The problem is the Dell Wireless Adapter.  The troubleshooter fixes the problem for that session, but everyday I have to run the troubleshooter.  I have check for driver updates and did download an update 3 days ago, but it did not make any difference.

This is the first Dell product that I've owned, but have owned PC's since the 90's.  I have never had this kind of problems before with any other brand.  This is not a stripped down, super-cheap system, it is less than 1 year old, and I am really unhappy with this problem. 

I got a reply from Dell about the Diagnostics situation, but I want the Wireless Network Adapter deal worked out.  The machine is still under warranty.

4 Posts

October 7th, 2015 05:00

This is probably a long shot, but have you or anyone else who uses the computer ever set up a static network ip address or set any other manual settings for your computer's wireless adapter or your wireless router?  ( I do this occasionally for better performance with a VPN that I use).   When I forgot that I had made manual changes and there were some other changes to my wireless network I had a similar issue to what you are experiencing and had to use the troubleshooter until I reset the wireless adapter settings to again automatically configure my wireless connection.

Just go to "Network and Sharing" in the Control Panel, select "Change adapter settings" (from the menu on the far left) and then right-click on the wireless network you are using.  Next left-click on "Internet Protocol Version 4 TCP/IPv4" to highlight it, then click "Properties" (right below it.) Make sure that "Obtain an IP address automatically" and "Obtain DNS server automatically" are both selected, click "OK" and then close.  This will let your wireless router select the best settings for your wireless adapter.

I don't know if this will solve your particular issue or if it's something you've already tried... but it's at least worth a shot if you haven't. 

Another simple thing to try is to unplug your wireless router for about a minute to reset it and plug it back in, then restart your computer.  Sometimes a myriad of wireless glitches can be solved just by doing this.  Again, I don't know what you've already tried so sorry if these things are too obvious to you. 

1 Message

August 24th, 2016 06:00

I have the same problem I can't find supportassist interface and when I download the file and open it, it will only run for updates. I have sent 3 email to Dell and they refuse to answer. What to do? Buy a new laptop and write Dell down???

No Events found!