Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 22nd, 2009 14:00

Quickset: CAPS lock-icon steals focus (Studio 1557, x64)

Hey!

I've already spent hours on solving this problem but I haven't got to an end so far.

There are many  many topics on the internet describing exactly the same problem but nobody got to a correct answer so far, so isn't Dell doing anything for it's customers???

The thing is that, that when I press the CAPS-Lock-Button, the lock in the lower right corner appears and if this is the case it steals the focus from the active window - annoying!!!

This behaviour is definetly because of DELL Quickset as I've already uninstalled it and boom, it doesn't steal focous any more
It is really annoying if you're playing a game, typing a mail, or writing in Word etc.

Quickset just does not give you the preference to change this setting (I have the newest BIOS and Quickset installed, 22/12/09)

Of course uninstalling would solve the problem, but I really like the other features Quickset provides (power saving etc.)

So is there the possibility to turn off this annoying icon??? (Registry-fix etc.)

Hope somebody got the answer or Quickset will be improved to provide this setting in future! Such a small change would make that many customers happy and Dell still isn't doing anything, poor, as it would be a really small change to the program (I know it, as I'm a programmer myself)

Thanks in advance, hopefully you know more.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

December 27th, 2009 17:00

I'm no mindreader, so is this XP-64 or Vista-64??

Microsoft has a free utility for XP called TweakUI which, among other things, has a setting to prevent applications from stealing focus. I don't know if this will solve your specific problem, but may be worth a try.

According to this site, you can use XP-64 TweakUI with Vista-64 as long as you set the compatibility mode for TweakUI to XP. Note that the XP-64 version of TweakUI is somebody's modification of the original Microsoft XP-32 TweakUI, and isn't supported by Microsoft. You can download XP-64 TweakUI here

I'd strongly advise setting a manual System Restore point before you install TweakUI or use it to make changes, especially since this not a "real" Microsoft product.  :emotion-5:

Ron

6 Posts

February 6th, 2010 01:00

I was also annoyed with the caps-lock indicator stealing focus.  I'm a fast typist, but not a touch typist as I regularly use caps lock to make capitals - done it that way since I was young and it's a hard habit to break!  This was especially annoying as focus would be taken from a browser, IDE or word-processor in which I was writing.   I narrowed it down to Dell QuickSet and removed it from startup in a quick burst of anger.

Turns out QuickSet, whilst having some trivial features such as visible volume/brightness indicators, is quite essential for the eject button and other multimedia key functions (e.g. battery info).  I had a look on here and seeing as you ddn't get much luck with your solution, thought I'd try fiddling around with the registry myself.  I went straight to the Dell QuickSet registry keys and changed a couple, and found to my surprise, that one of them changes the appearance of the dialogs for brightness, volume, etc.  Setting this to 1 meant there was NO caps lock indicator, and the volume/brightness indicators are more colourful, and whilst I prefer the previous transparent grey ones they're not too bad.

Just find HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Dell Computer Corporation\QuickSet\QuickSetControl and set it to 1

Let me know what you think.  I've not tested this extensively yet, so not sure if there are any new problems to be wary of, but so far I'm happy.

December 28th, 2009 03:00

Hey RoHe, thank you for your answer!

Sorry for the incomplete description, it is Windows7 Ultimate x64

I've downloaded TweakUI for x64 as suggested from you, I tried to set the compatibility to Win XP, but the only possibilities which were listed was Vista (incl, all SP), and Server 2008 SP1.

But you gave me the hint that there has to be such a setting in the registry and so i binged it.

I came to the final results:

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windowsxp/ht/stealingfocus02.htm

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc957208.aspx

As written I set the registry-key to it's default value of 200000 (dec) and rebooted.

The problem is solved now, pressing CAPS lock no more steals focus of the active windows.

So I don't know why this key wasn't on it's default value, as I have changed nothing and also many other people have posted exactly the same problem.

But RoHe thank you for your essential hint!!

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

December 28th, 2009 09:00

:emotion-21:

December 29th, 2009 01:00

After I spend some time testing now, I'm sure that this registry key is why pressing CAPS-Lock steals focus.

But I also get to something interesting: When I start a game (tried with Battlefield 2 and Battlefield 2142), they reset the value of this key to 0, thus it starts annoying again.

Anybody an idea on how to prevent application to change the value of this key?

Of course there's the possibility remove permissions for this folder for all users, but if you do that, you can't change anything which goes on on the desktop as long as you do not add permissions again.

Is it really the easiest way to write a script which runs each time after a game has started, and the PC has to be restarted again.... annoying

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

December 29th, 2009 13:00

You may have to fight this battle with the game makers directly. Poke around on their website and forums to see if anybody there has a solution.

You could probably create a .reg file which, when double-clicked, launches regedit and changes that key back the way you want it. I agree that would be a pain, but it would save you from having to manually launch regedit and migrate to that key every time, with the potential to mess up the registry and crash your system completely.

And you might want to look into Aero Shake which is a "hidden" feature in Win 7. Maybe it will help control focus without having to edit the registry all the time.

Ron

December 29th, 2009 23:00

OK, so I'll try my best in the community forums of the game makers

I'll let you know if I know a solution although I think that I'll have to take the reg-script all the time.

Thank you Ron for your hard work :emotion-21:

6 Posts

Glad you found it useful :).  Yes, I did try other values.  As you said it is 4 by default, so I changed it to 1 initially and found my problem was solved.  For completeness sake I also tried 0, 2 and 3.  0 seemed to be the same as 4, 2 had a different appearance (blue) but also had a caps-lock indicator that still took focus.  3 seemed to be an equivalent to 2 (same most-significant bit?).

You got it fine shadowrunner, but I should mention fr anyone else that after setting this registry key you should either restart, or just kill the quickset.exe process and start it again (it's in program files\dell\quickset).

I too will post here if I notice anything with this new configuration.

Ok, this is another solution to this problem. Although changing foreground locktimeout back to it's default value also worked quite well (I've written a script which, when caps lock stole focus again, I just applied and everything worked fine again). But I think your solution is the more elegant and more colorful one :).

I've also tried it and so far it works quite well, as no Caps-Lock-Indicator is displayed any more.

For those people who want to reset it, set the registry key back to 4.

By the way JamesDS89 have you also tried out different values for this key?

Anyway, thank you for this information!

I will give it a intensive try and if it something is not working, I'll post it here

thank you,

regards

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

February 6th, 2010 17:00

That sounds like a reasonable solution to the problem. :emotion-21:

But, I strongly encourage you, and everyone else, to make a backup copy (File>Export) of the Regsitry before you make any changes, especially when you're experimenting like this. Otherwise, you could be heading toward a disaster of your own doing... :emotion-5:

Ron

2 Posts

May 10th, 2010 16:00

I was also annoyed with the caps-lock indicator stealing focus.  I'm a fast typist, but not a touch typist as I regularly use caps lock to make capitals - done it that way since I was young and it's a hard habit to break!  This was especially annoying as focus would be taken from a browser, IDE or word-processor in which I was writing.   I narrowed it down to Dell QuickSet and removed it from startup in a quick burst of anger.

Turns out QuickSet, whilst having some trivial features such as visible volume/brightness indicators, is quite essential for the eject button and other multimedia key functions (e.g. battery info).  I had a look on here and seeing as you ddn't get much luck with your solution, thought I'd try fiddling around with the registry myself.  I went straight to the Dell QuickSet registry keys and changed a couple, and found to my surprise, that one of them changes the appearance of the dialogs for brightness, volume, etc.  Setting this to 1 meant there was NO caps lock indicator, and the volume/brightness indicators are more colourful, and whilst I prefer the previous transparent grey ones they're not too bad.

Just find HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Dell Computer Corporation\QuickSet\QuickSetControl and set it to 1

Let me know what you think.  I've not tested this extensively yet, so not sure if there are any new problems to be wary of, but so far I'm happy.

Hi, I am not very computer literate - but I did find the HKEYs in the regedit thingy.

My problem though is that I cannot find the QuickSetControl

I got as far as HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Dell Computer Corporation\QuickSet

but no further

do the details below help:

http://en.community.dell.com/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Discussions.Components.Files/3526/6254.Registry-Editor.pdf

Any ideas

Man ythanks

6 Posts

May 10th, 2010 19:00

Hi, I am not very computer literate - but I did find the HKEYs in the regedit thingy.

My problem though is that I cannot find the QuickSetControl

I got as far as HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Dell Computer Corporation\QuickSet

but no further

Hey,

I'm not sure why there's no field for QuickSetControl, but you can try creating it yourself.

In HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Dell Computer Corporation\QuickSet, right-click and select New > DWORD.  Call it QuickSetControl then double-click it to set it's value to 1.

Hope that helps,

James

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

May 10th, 2010 20:00

I strongly encourage you to back up your registry BEFORE you start making any changes. One slip-up and you could end up having to reinstall Windows, and losing all your files.

Before making any registry changes, highlight My Computer at the top of the registry tree in the left panel. Then click File>Export and let it back up the entire registry. Make sure the backup file name has the .reg extension.

Keep the .reg file on your hard drive where you can find it and copy it onto external media (eg CD, external hard drive) until you're sure you haven't messed things up. :emotion-5:

Ron

2 Posts

May 11th, 2010 06:00

Hi guys, many thanks for your assistance, it seems to be working now

2 Posts

May 26th, 2010 22:00

Well, I think this is not a real solution. If we change the registry, the problem with the caps lock will be solved but we won't know when the caps lock is on. Any better ideas? Dell wants to help here maybe?

No Events found!