Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 13th, 2006 15:00

Can I Reconfigure the Media Direct Button

Hi,

I have just purchased an Inspiron 630m laptop.

I would like the MediaDirect button on the front of the laptop to launch a different application from the Dell Media Experience.

Is there any way that I can change this setting?

Thanks in advance for any help!

1 Message

February 15th, 2006 04:00

Typed this post once and accidentally closed the window, so this time my description will be a lot more brief. If you need me to expand on anything let me know.

I spent most of today trying to figure out how to reconfigure this button (Dell's QuickSet utility, disassemblers, API references, oh my), and ran across your post and wanted to let you know how I got it to work.

I'll use Winamp as the example here, since that's what I wanted to have open.

1. Went to Winamp's directory (C:\Program Files\Winamp) and copied Winamp.exe to DMX.exe.
2. Opened up the Registry Editor (regedit.exe) and went to the following key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\DMX.exe
3. Changed the value of (default) to nothing... I think it could be left the same though.
4. Added a new string value called Path, and set it to C:\Program Files\Winamp\
(trailing slash is optional)

It took effect immediately. Let me know what your results are.

Would be nice if the next version of QuickSet had a way to specify the application to launch (similar to every other vendor's hotkey software).

3 Posts

February 16th, 2006 08:00

Hi,

Just wanted to say thanks a lot!

That process worked like a treat!

It now does exactly what I want it to do.

(The only thing slightly different for me was because I had already removed the Dell Media Experience program from the laptop, I had to created the dmx.exe key)

Again thanks a lot!

1 Message

February 25th, 2006 03:00

Hi I am trying to do the same thing you did. I did a clean install of WIN XP Pro and wanted to add functionality to the MediaDirect button. How did you create the key for DMX.exe? you have to actually have the exe file? I tried it and nothing happens. let me know please.

Thx

3 Posts

February 25th, 2006 08:00

Hi, I haven't tried to do this on a clean install of Windows XP so I am unsure if the process will work.

However, this is what I did. When I was in regedit I right clicked the App Paths entry and chose "New Key". I typed the value of the key in as DMX.exe.

Once the key had been created and I had selected it I created a new String for the key called "Path" and made an entry to the folder that contained the application I wanted to run (i.e. C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\, don't use %ProgramFiles%\Windows Media Player\ as this didn;t seem to work for me.).

Then I went to the folder and copied the executable called wmplayer.exe to the same folder it was in and called it DMX.exe.

Then when the button was pressed it when to the folder I specified (C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\) and ran DMX.exe (which was actually the Media Player executable). It worked!!

As I mentioned though I am not sure if this will work on a clean install...At some point the button has to be configured to do something and that was already the case when Dell sent me the laptop. I am not sure how this was configured.....

8 Posts

March 30th, 2006 01:00

Wow Mr. Jingles, thank you very much!!!! You ended a couple of days of browsing for a remedy for this button. My I630m came WITHOUT Dell Media Experience, and by creating the DMX.exe I was able to rderiect the button to WMP!! What a relief. I also wanted to note that when Mr. Jingles is refering to the Apps Paths folder is the same one talked before on the thread I got kind of lost on that one at first. Thank you all for such help and have a nice day.

3 Posts

May 10th, 2006 15:00

Can we take this a step further? I reconfigured the MediaDirect button and Winamp pops up fine. Is it now possible to reconfigure the other buttons, such as Play/Pause, Forward, Back, and Stop? That would be really cool.

Thanks in advance,
Max

Message Edited by MadMax8600 on 05-10-200611:11 AM

Nevermind, the question was answered on another POST. All you have to do is enable the Global Hotkeys in Winamp & everything works.

Message Edited by MadMax8600 on 05-10-200606:00 PM

No Events found!