Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 25th, 2013 14:00

Dell Back-up & Recovery File Icon

I'm using Dell Backup and Recovery for data files. The clock symbol icon has been placed on all the folder and files that are backed up with this tool. How do I remove the Icon? It's a distracting nuisance.  

2 Posts

October 28th, 2013 16:00

I found a solution.

Move the 2 pictures in the folder "C:\Program Files (x86)\Dell Backup and Recovery\locale\Shell"

Restart computer...

//Micke

November 15th, 2013 10:00

As mentioned in a previous response you can delete the icon files found in the Dell Backup and Recovery->local->Shell folder OR if you want to keep the icons just use an online converter to change the icon size from 128x128 to something like 32x32 pixels.  I suggest you leave the shell_backup_no_uptodate icon the size it already is so that it stands out.

The site I used to convert was http://www.iconj.com/pic_to_icon_converter.php

Have fun.

3 Posts

December 22nd, 2013 09:00

This works.  In Windows 8, go to the Shell folder as stated above (C:\Program Files (x86)\Dell Backup and Recovery\locale\Shell)  left click and create a new folder inside the Shell folder.  Name it "Those stupid icons are in here".  Move the two "backup" icons into this new folder.  Close everything and restart the computer.  Backup and Recovery will no longer be able to find the icon.  However, if you need to, you will be able to reverse the process to recover the icon and see which of your files are backed up.

2 Posts

March 16th, 2015 12:00

Brilliant! Can't thank you enough. Such a small thing but such a huge irritant and this fixed it.

Have a great day.

2 Posts

March 20th, 2015 11:00

Yes, the program backup (miraculously!) still works perfectly. I'm quite happy.

953 Posts

September 25th, 2013 16:00

Hi Garito50,

These icons are indicative of the fact that these files/folders are being backed up using Dell Backup and Recovery. You cannot change the icons.

55 Posts

October 7th, 2013 19:00

Are being backed up or have been backed up. There should be an option to turn these non-needed clocks on each icon or picture off or on. I have like 3000 photos and I backed them up and the blue clock is on each and every one of them. It takes up half the thumbnail in thumbnail view of the picture blocking you from seeing the thumbnail. Come on dell, you could do better than this, I will be uninstalling it unless there is a fix. And I was about the by the premium version. This answered my question, about buying it, NO WAY!!!

2 Posts

October 14th, 2013 09:00

I do totally agree with you. It is very annoying watching that dumb blue clock. Its confusing and distracting. Now I have to put tripple attention on each of the icons to really determine what kind of file is it. You should fix it or at least warn before using this software.

1 Message

October 14th, 2013 10:00

I also agree. It looks rubbish.

And to the Dell representative who said we can't change them - well we should be able to!!!

55 Posts

October 14th, 2013 17:00

I fixed it, I deleted Dell backup and Recovery after making my restore disks

2 Posts

October 29th, 2013 10:00

Great it really Works

Thanks you really helped me out on this one

1 Message

January 3rd, 2014 15:00

I used the converter to change the icon size to 32x32 but after I restarted the computer they appeared on each file as large as before just more pixelated.

As you suggested I will take the one icon out altogether and leave the shell_backup_no_uptodate. 

6 Posts

October 3rd, 2014 09:00

Same here. I prefer the clock symbol be removed.

Larry

6 Posts

October 3rd, 2014 09:00

Problem solved, Thanks.

6 Posts

October 20th, 2014 07:00

LOL!

No Events found!