Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 11th, 2011 21:00

Microsoft Office Click-to-Run Questions

I have a Dell Inspiron 15R (N5010) purchased in fall 2010 that came with Word and Excel Starter editions.  It has a drive Q under My Computer labeled "Microsoft Office Click-to-Run 2010 (Protected)".  When I click on Microsoft Office in the start menu it prompts me to either purchase an activation key or enter one I already have.  I bought Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2010 that came on disks with a product key.

My question is if I enter this product key into the program apparently already installed but not activated on my computer will I have access to all the available features that come with Office Professional Plus 2010?  Or do I need to install the disks?  I can't find a clear answer to this on the internet but I'm probably just missing it.  If someone has experience or knows for sure that'd be very helpful.  Thanks!

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

August 12th, 2011 06:00

You should completely uninstall the starter version, and then restart the system and install the version you purchased on DVD.  

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

August 12th, 2011 09:00

As long as you have the key that came with the purchased Office disk, all you need to do is Activate the already installed version. That key will allow access to your Pro plus version. You do not need to reinstall from disk--in fact you should not do that. You don't need to uninstall Starter since that is separate from the real Office.

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

August 12th, 2011 15:00

Here is a video with instructions on activating Office. How to activate Office

No Events found!