Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 12th, 1999 19:00

Outlook 2000 McAfee email attachment virus scan

I have a new dell xps T650r. It had McAfee virus scan and outlook 2000 pre-installed. I noticed that there is no choice in outlook:Tools for a virus scan of email attachments, as I have had in my other Dell computers w/McAfee and Outlook97. I updated to McAfee's downloadable latest v4.03 and upgraded/updated to latest engine 4.0.50 and latest DAT files. This didn't change anything. I wondered if you can do a virus scan of email folders in outlook 2000 using McAfee and what I need to do to activate this capability, if so.

2 Posts

December 22nd, 2003 05:00

Well, here it is four years later and I'm having the same problem, only I'm running Outlook 2002 and VirusScan Enterprise 7 on Windows XP and a Dell Inspiron 600m.  I've looked on Network Associates and Microsoft's websites, and this is the only reference I have found ANYWHERE to this particular kind of problem.  I don't suppose anyone is still looking at this thread and knows how I can fix this?

4.4K Posts

December 22nd, 2003 13:00

As far as I know, there is no option from within Outlook itself.

However, most AV software (I use NAV2003) have an option to scan incoming emails (and outgoing ones if you like). So if that is on, emails will be scanned as they come in. Don't know about McAfee or VirusScan Enterprise, but with NAV2003, you can also set it to pop up a message which tells you which virus (usually in the attachment) and with options to decide what to do about it. The default setting is to remove the attachment and place it in quarantine. NAV replaces it on the email with a text note attachment with info. It works for me with Outlook XP (2002) and before that I used it with Outlook 2000.

If you are worried about emails or other data already stored in Outlook, you could use McAfee (or any other AV) to scan the file outlook.pst, which contains all your emails and other Outlook data

It is in the folder C:\Documents and Settings\yourusername\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook

The Local Settings folder is hidden, so to see it, in Windows Explorer, Tools menu, folder options, view tab, check show hidden files and folders (also uncheck hide extensions of known types to see the .pst extension).

Message Edited by JRosenfeld on 12-22-2003 03:30 PM

No Events found!