Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 20th, 2007 22:00

Outlook 2003 - extend.dat error

Hi. Just got my new XPS 410 and Outlook was pre-installed. I am running Windows Vista premium home edition and needless to say, I can't find anything and lots of programs are incompatible.  MS Outlook was working fine, until I imported my email messages then I get this error:

"An extension failed to initialize.  Can't open file: extend.dat.  The file may not eexist, you may not have permission to open it, or it may be open in another program.  Right click the folder that contains the file, and then click properties to check your permissions for the folder.  You don't have appropriate permission to perform this operation."

And the other thing is that I keep getting these annoying messages that keep prompting me to click yes to make changes because I am the administrator.  I called dell about this and they pointed me to knowledge base and the forums.  Help?

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

May 20th, 2007 23:00

You should not use Import, since it corrupts the pst file. Instead, copy the old outlook.pst file to your new hard drive (do not overwrite the new outlook.pst file) and use File, Open Outlook Data File on the Outlook menu to use it or move items to the new pst file.

About not finding anything on Vista. Use the Start-search box to type whatever you are looking for--files, programs, settings etc. and it will find it for you. Vista spends the first few days indexing everything, so give it some time.
No Events found!