Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 9th, 2015 12:00

Trying to recover data from Dell Backup & Recovery when doing a System Recovery

I did a System Recovery because I had the Blue Screen of Death this past weekend.  I couldn't boot into windows 8 so I accessed the recovery drive and did a system recovery.  It saved my data to an external drive and then recovered windows; and then it performed a factory restore backup to dvds.  I am able to get into Windows now and have recovered most of programs and files, but not all of them.  When I open Dell Backup and Recovery, it does not show the backup performed on this past weekend, even though I see the backup data on my external drive.  I am pretty sure this backup is on this drive because the date and time of the backup files match when I performed this system recovery.  My question is, Why doesn't Dell Backup and Recovery recognize this backup and let me restore the data within it?  The backup data files have the extension "INP" just like backups for Dell Backup and Recovery.  Please help.

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

April 9th, 2015 14:00

System Recovery is not a solution for Blue Screen. First thing to do is to run the all the Diagnostics and then  a Custom Extended Test of the entire hard drive to see if there is a hard drive problem and find out what is the cause of a Blue Screen.  Dell Backup comes in a variety of versions--do you have Basic free version or Premium? Do you have the latest version for your model? Windows System Recovery and Dell Backup are 2 diff programs so Dell Backup will not be able to use a backup done by Windows Recovery. Open Windows Backup to restore the files on dvd.

12 Posts

April 10th, 2015 15:00

true- and also Dell Backup and Recover 1.8.1.71.a00 does not work.

but what's a little faulty software between friends?  :emotion-60:

No Events found!