Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

P

February 14th, 2012 08:00

What's the use of HStart in Dell computers?

Before having a Dell computer recently, I never heard of HStart.

Why HStart has been installed in Dell computer? Which of the Dell applications need it?

Thanks.

• 

16.7K Posts

February 15th, 2012 05:00

pomeloleaf,

Thank you for using the Dell Community Forum.

Dell did not install HSTART on your system. It very well could be a virus/malware. You may want to run a scan on your system.

February 15th, 2012 10:00

(1) Maybe u need to check with the HStart developer forum from NTWind. Their admin stated clearly that "HStart is included in Dell DataSafe Local Backup..."

http://www.ntwind.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2774

(which was not my post)

(2) And I could find a hstart.exe file in my Dell computer located at "C:/Program Files (x86)/Dell DataSafe Local Backup" (or maybe somewhere else). Am I hacked?

(3) Actually, a week ago, after switched on the computer without any single click or any further action, 3 popup windows named "Hidden Start v2.1" appeared to me. Though I managed to close them all and they didn't appear again, my computer might have been hacked already. For details, please visit below my posts at McAfee (with png file of what appeared on screen) and Microsoft support forums respectively below:

(a) https://community.mcafee.com/message/227888#227888

(b) http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-performance/strange-popupafter-setup-windows-named-hidden/e4ef5c74-05c9-496d-93ad-240f43e055d1

(4) It's rather strange... you guys always think at the beginning that it's a software being setup by myself. Please note that I didn't download (so no need to say about setup) HStart by myself. And FYI, I didn't install or uninstall any other program at all previously or even after... it's a brand new computer... used for only a month. Also, HStart could not be found at the Programs list under the Control Panel.

(5) I agree that there may have virus or malware, that's why I posted.

(6) But I don't know why Dell denied the use of HStart (I did receive similar email reply from technical support recently that HStart is not a Dell software). If HStart is NOT any part of Dell setup, probably NTWind (the HStart developer) could be a mysterious group that has been focusing and planning something over Dell computers? Or at least they are making use of Dell as their partnership. Dell should take action anyway. After a concrete confirmation of this, I will then take further actions based on the suggestions from other forums to clear up the HStart (which I think currently if being deleted will cause troubles to the corresponding Dell applications).

(7) Or u may finally figure out that HStart has been part of the Dell configuration files that certain Dell applications (included the Dell DataSafe Local Backup) are based, probably there should be certain vulnerabilities existed among the Dell applications or drivers. Or at least, Dell applications may have conflicts with HStart to cause the unexpected popups. And all these vulnerabilities or conflicts (unknown to Dell) have become known attack points for hackers probably for a period of time, since recently I found certain old similar posts though they didn't show what appeared about the popups and they just received reply to guide them for a check at the Program List and then no further update.

(8) Dell engineers should analyse and check out what caused those popups (and probably need to work along with NTWind), and then provide updates to us to fix the current risk status over my computer and many others.

If you are part of the Dell group, please note the admin or the corresponding dept to get involved for the fix asap to save us.

Or please after check further with the admins, put down again to confirm me if HStart IS or IS NOT part of the Dell Applications/Computer.

1 Message

June 6th, 2012 12:00

I got same error today. The file Hstart.exe is Dell Inc. certified with Verisign certificate. It is a Dell Datasafe Backup program file. If Dell's denying this they should revisit what the list of programs / files they are installing in computers. I have my Dell for around 2 yrs now. Don't know why the message triggered.

1 Message

June 27th, 2012 21:00

I received the same error message about a month ago. I believe my neighbor is hacking into my computer. Now, often times even when my computer is completely turned off the operation light is lit up.  Other times when the computer is off the light is not lit up. This happens nearly every day. Last weekend, when the neighbor was away the computer shut down fine and the light went out. Now that he's back again, the light is periodically on when the computer is shut off. I have purchased Norton, but I still think the problem exists. Any suggestions?

February 3rd, 2013 07:00

On Feb 3, 2013, 1st bootup, 2 identical files were opened called Hidden Start v2.1.  i had no problem closing them after taking a print screen, see below.

Hidden Start v2.1

Run from command line:

hstart /[PARAMETERS]  /[PRIORITY] [COMMAND LINES]

PARAMETERS:

/NOCONSOLE - start console applications without any windows

/WAIT - wait for the applications to terminate (run synchronously)

/WAITINPUT - wait for the user input to set the priority class

/D=PATH - set the starting directory

/SHELL - run as and open docs in the Windows Shell

/RUNAS - run apps using UAC privilege elevation (Vista)

/UAC - run Hstart using UAC privilege elevation (Vista)

/MSG=TEXT - show the message after command execution

/TITLE=TEXT - set the title of the message

/ERRMSG=TEXT - show the error message if an error detected

/ERRTITLE=TEXT - set the title of the error message

/SILENT - silent mode no error messages will be displayed

/TEST - test mode see what parameters are pass to Hstart

PRIORITY classes:

/[HIGH | ABOVENORMAL | NORMAL | BELOWNORMAL | IDLE]

Don't forget about quotes when using complex COMMAND LINES:

hstart /NOCONSOLE/D="D:\Temp" ""D:\backup.bat" parameters"

OK

I closed the files using the x top right corner.  I did not click the OK button,

Help.  Who wrote this?  Is this part of the Dell backup proram? Am I hacked? 

I will pursue this with Dell directly also and report back to this forum. 

Leafpomelo:  What is the status of your Hiddenstart situation back feb 2012?  How was it resolved?

Marilyn O:  What do you make of my situation, and the above program?

Please help.

45 Posts

January 14th, 2014 07:00

C:\Program Files (x86)\Dell Backup and Recovery\Components\DBRUpdate\hstart.exe

ESET NOD32 found this last night, under check unsafe applications.  Dell needs to look into this.  :emotion-3:

2.7K Posts

January 14th, 2014 08:00

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Dell Backup and Recovery\Components\DBRUpdate\hstart.exe"

I have this on a brand new out of the box Inspiron. 

45 Posts

January 14th, 2014 09:00

Thank you for that notation.  So it seems that file is definitely put in by Dell.  Hmmm... that makes me think that this is just a vulnerable file, not a deliberate virus/malware...whatever. 

2.7K Posts

January 14th, 2014 09:00

It would appear so, however I am puzzled by Dell-Jesse L's reply.  May Jesse will reply again with some clarification. 

No Events found!