Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 18th, 2010 04:00

Windows Media Player

I am running XP Home SP3 with all updates on a Dimension 4550.

I recently encountered a problem with Windows Media Player 11. When playing videos in the wmv format they play just fine. When I close the player I get an error message, Windows Media Player has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience. If I click on the For more information about this error, click here button it shows:

Error signature
AppName: wmplayer.exe AppVer: 11.0.5721.5262 ModName: unknown
ModVer: 0.0.0.0 Offset: 00000000

I have tested the same files in Roxio CinePlayer and it doesn't have this problem when closing the player.

I have tried re-installing WMP 11 with a fresh download from the Windows site. No difference.

Mpeg, mpg, avi video files are OK, as are mp3 and wma audio files.

Any ideas? (other than using another media player)

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

November 19th, 2010 03:00

Try the free Codec Pack  HERE  and see if that helps.

From looking at this on google it appears WMP11, for Windows XP, does not come with all the needed codecs to play the various formats.

181 Posts

November 19th, 2010 05:00

Fiireberd, playing them is not the problem as I have all the necessary codecs etc to play almost any media in WMP 11. No, the problem occurs after the media has finished playing and I shut down WMP 11 and that's when the error message occurs.

At first I thought I had hit on the problem when I found an article in the MS Knowledge Base showing that when WMP is playing and a USB is plugged in with a media discriptor that doesn't conform to the Windows designated format. See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/933547.

Unfortunately, when I ran the hotfix I had a message saying that I already had it in my recent installation of WMP 11. However, it has a ring of something related, maybe.

Shaun

159 Posts

November 19th, 2010 06:00

I have faced this problem several times before and honestly i don't remember the exact solution. But i guess the problem relates to the driver of your sound card or to the codec pack you have installed on your computer. I suggest check your sound card driver and maybe reinstall it. And also download and install this codec pack :

filehippo.com/download_klite_codec_pack/

181 Posts

November 19th, 2010 09:00

Bestis, the sound is on board the mobo and the codec/software hasn't changed since delivery of the system in 2002!!. It is a recent problem that only seems to effect wmv files

159 Posts

November 20th, 2010 12:00

So try downloading and installing codec pack from the source or any other source you want. and see if it will be fixed?

181 Posts

November 22nd, 2010 08:00

So try downloading and installing codec pack from the source or any other source you want. and see if it will be fixed?

OK, I tried that (I tested all of the available downloads of the K-Lite Codec pack) and it made no difference. The WMP 11 still played the wmv files just fine but when closing down WMP 11 it presented the same error message. I know it isn't the files themselves as the VLC media player manages them OK (I do believe that it uses it's own codecs).

The only recent change to my system is the changing of my AGP video card from an Nvidia FX 5700 to an Nvidia 6800 GS. I have the latest driver installed. Could that possibly cause any problems with ONLY wmv files in WMP 11?

Shaun

181 Posts

November 28th, 2010 08:00

I beleive that I may have found the cause of my problem lying with the latest Nvidia release video driver. I was using release 260.99 which has the 6.14.12.6099 version for my 6800 GS card. When I installed the earlier 175.16 release with the 6.14.11.7516 version the problem no longer occurs. If I update to the latest version it re-occurs.

So, that means I either use an older driver for compatibility with WMP 11 when playing wmv/asf files or use the latest driver and another video player (VLC for the time being. An excellent player but doesn't support midi files natively) for playing my wmv/asf files.

Shaun

No Events found!