Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 14th, 2009 07:00

XPS 1640 - VMWare Problem with VT

Hi all

I have a new XPS 1640 with an installed Vista 64bit OS. I have bought this notebook for using multiple virtual systems with VMWare.

As recommended, i activated the VT in the Bios. But the VMWare (Workstation 6.5.2) does not recognize the VT. It gives an error while starting a 64bit VMWare and it is not possible to install a 64bit OS.

Someone has an idea?

Regards

4 Posts

April 17th, 2009 01:00

so, i've tested different things without any success. (update bios, use an other vmware version, test VT with ohter tool (none found with an useful error)

still spend a lot of money and nothing to work with.... well, i'll try it and try it, and perhaps someone from dell can help me out.

4 Posts

April 27th, 2009 08:00

no news at all... *push*

9 Posts

May 12th, 2009 22:00

Hey I just updated from a05 bios to a06 and it turned virt off so I re-enabled and booted then tried to start the 64 bit os and it gripped about vt not being on.

suggested that I power cylce if I just changed it while booting, power cycled and it works again, anyway it must have been on.

9 Posts

May 12th, 2009 22:00

I have the same 1640 with bios enabled and same 64 bit vmware 6.5.2.

I installed a 64 bit win 7 RC fine on mine.

Selected 2 CPU in vmware.

I am running in automatic mode in the vm settings though.

Are you selecting a specific setting in the VM?

Maybe mine isnt using it and I just dont know it.

also, can you tell me if yours resumes after a suspend with the lcd brightness all the way up even though you have it set for dim when on DC?

4 Posts

May 13th, 2009 01:00

Hi,

I've tested Win2003 64bit and Vista Ultimate 64bit plain install and a working Acronis Image of an Vista Ultimate 64bit - nothing is working. I allways get the error, that i have to activate the VT in Bios. (and some blue-screens)

The bios is allready A06 and the settings are double checked. ;-)

So, thanks for your ideas, but it seems that i need an other one.

€:  yes, i do have the same behaviour with the brigtness. somethimes it also happens that the lcd is not turning itself off when it should ("Trun off monitor => After 10 min") when the notebook is running on batterie.

3 Posts

January 12th, 2010 00:00

Hi all I HAd the same problem with VMware and microsoft vitual machine so I tried Virtual Box .WOrks perfectly fine for me on Vista X64. Now I have got Win 7 X64 , and tried Vmware x86 ,worked fine , I will try the X64 version of Vmware ansd let you know if it works with Win7.

January 12th, 2010 02:00

My Vmware is just working fine right after i uninstalled the latest VMware, and installed version 5.5.5 .

This is a version we also se at our company, we dont get any problems.

No Events found!