Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 19th, 2012 11:00

capture and deploy Dell XPS 15 L521x

I am able to sysprep and capture an image of the Dell XPS 15 L521x but when deploying it bluescreens after the windows logo.  Is it because of the two drives msata 32 gb and 750 HDD?  I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.  I've capture and deploy using WDS with Dell PC and laptops with no issues but Ive never worked with two separate disks.  Any help would be appreciated? 

November 26th, 2012 09:00

What are you using to capture the image? Did you capture just the partition? Some Dell models have two partitions, one that is usually before the C: partition and contains information specific to Dell laptops. Sometimes if the boot information isn’t captured in full, the deployment will be unable to complete successfully.

Also, if you could include the blue screen error you are receiving that will be extremely helpful.

Typically speaking, anytime someone is attempting to do a capture process and deployment I always recommend the following videos from the Springboard Series page on TechNet:

Jessica
Windows Outreach Team – IT Pro

If you could post the exact error, that will help us ascertain what is causing the issue. It sounds to me as though the boot partition may not be captured fully. If you run a Windows 7 startup repair, is the blue screen issue resolved?

5 Posts

I used WDS to capture.  When using WDS, I never really had to specify what partition to capture.  Like i stated, I never really had a problem until now.  That why I assume it was because of the two disk (msata  and hdd) in the XPS 15.  If it is how am i suppose to capture?  I'll try to get a bluescreen error.

5 Posts

Let me try the startup repair.  Thanks for helping!

November 26th, 2012 12:00

Anytime! Keep me posted!

Jessica
Windows Outreach Team -- IT Pro 

5 Posts

November 29th, 2012 15:00

I just sysprepped and capture a new xps 15 and when deploying I still get the bluescreen below:

a problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.  If this is the first time...........

Check for viruses.............run chkdsk /f........

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0X0000007B (0xFFFFF880009A97E8,0xFFFFFFFFC0000034, 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000)

I also attached the unattend file I use to sysprep.  Like i stated earlier.  My methods are no different with other Dell desktop and laptops and I dont have this problem.

1 Attachment

December 4th, 2012 10:00

Your unattend file has PersistAllDeviceInstalls set to true. Judging from the error code you are receiving, I wonder if one of your drivers is preventing the capture from completing successfully. To confirm, the reference machine is identical to the machine you are attempting to push the image out to? You might want to take a look at this TechNet forums thread for additional suggestions that may help you with the capture and deploy process. As JuliusPIV discovered, he needed to include “%SystemRoot%\inf” as part of the device path.

Keep me posted!

Jessica

5 Posts

December 5th, 2012 21:00

Yes PersistAllDeviceInstall is set to true because I don’t want it to strip any drivers while sysprepping.  Like I stated, I’m able to capture just fine with no issue.  The issue is when I’m deploying via WDS to a new XPS 15 Windows 7 64 bit.  It deploys just fine.  I get no blue screens or any error messages.  The problem occurs when  I boot and right when the windows logo shows up it blue screens.  Keep in mind, if I get no error messages on the screen while sysprepping and after capturing,  I’m assuming all is well.  Am I wrong?  I read the link you provided and will probably need to do some more reading on it.  Not sure if it even pertains to my situation.  My unattend file was design for sysprepping and capturing.  I can attach a unattend file in WDS for deployment.  Maybe set PersistAllDeviceInstalls to false?  Would deployment unattend file overwrite the sysprep and capturing unattend file settings?  

December 6th, 2012 12:00

I understand you want the drivers to stay intact when you are sysprepping the reference machine so that when you capture the image and proceed to deploy it, the drivers are included in the image and applied to the end user’s machine.

However, with that said, the error message you are receiving usually indicates a driver compatibility issue with, perhaps, the mass storage drivers. It would be helpful if you could test this scenario by capturing the image and allowing sysprep to strip the drivers. Next, deploy the image and see if the BSOD occurs this time around. This was also suggested in the previously referenced TechNet forums thread. If the deployment completes successfully, meaning the machine boots into Windows without an error, then we will want to troubleshoot further to determine which driver may be causing the BSOD.

Jessica

No Events found!