Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 13th, 2010 02:00

"Unhandled Exception Occured." Alien Respawn on M11X!!! (patch doesnt work!)

Hello~

I got my Alienware m11x R2 just two months ago, and thers always a prblem wif Alien Respawn?

Issue:

-whenever i plug in a hard drive, Data Safe pops out and says "Unhandled Exception Occured. Aplication will exit."

-when i tried to open the AlienRespawn app, the same thing with Data Safe pops out, which i have to click "ok" and the app will exit.

Tried to find some thread and it provided a patch from Dell, but its a patch tht fixes mainly for "Vista to Windows 7 upgraded", so it doesnt work for me (message pops out sayn tht it cant change the MBR.ini)

wt am i suppose to do? the messages r rlly annoyn, but i wonder if i truly need to backup and reinstall stuff, how can i do so wifout loosing everything? (since the disc provided is juz Windows 7, and not alienware softwares.)

Please help and thank you!

1 Message

November 15th, 2011 08:00

a year later, and even not a Dell support representative has ansered your question...

I have also the same issue with Alienrespawn, on my M17x-r2...

I called Alienware/Dell support.

- the 1st person, a not-so friendly lady sounding very impatient, told me: "I can not help you, you need to pay for the support service"

- the 2nd person contacted said: "it is impossible: it is done at factory, and can not be done again"

- the 3rd person at another lengthy call said: "re-install your operating system". But the OS (windows 7 ultimate 64b) provided on CD by Alienware/Dell does NOT contain alienrespawn, but the O.S....

- the 4th person said: "impossible: your recovery partition is corrupted. We can not recover it"

I realized then that NONE of the 4 super-support guys asked me if I made any recovery disk, and decided to wipe out everything and used the 2 DVDs created with Alienrespawn at a time it was still working...

It works.

Re-installing the image by booting the computer from the DVD  is an automated process, very simple ... but you wipe out ALL data in your computer and start from scratch.

There is a variant: if your hidden recovery partition is still good (and I found out it was teh case for me), at boot, press F8, then choose the "repair" option, then Alienrespawn option, and then "reset to factory state" option...

HOWEVER, after some days, I got again the error message, and datasafe stopped working again.

I did the full reset (partition deleted, image fully re-installed, windows updates, Anti virus installation, etc...) about 6 times for the last 4 months!

I even bought the upgrade for Alienrespawn, hoping for a copy of teh software and an easy way to install (but no: they just provide you with an unlock key, no software)

This horrible piece of software called Alienrespawn stopped working each and every time, just by installing genuine software such as all updates for Windows, and no fancy stuff.

Yesterday, I re-installed again from scratch and Alienrespawn was re-installed and working. I even unlocked it with my upgrade key, and updated to the latest version. Then during teh night did all Windows update, and only this. Just now, I have rebooted the cpmputer after updating to the last patch delivered for Windows, and datasafe error is back again.

ALIENRESPAWN IS A POINTLESS: SOFTWARE :  FORGET IT !!

USE SOMETHING ELSE, SUCH AS SYMANTEC's GHOST...

No Events found!