Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 16th, 2004 19:00

way to calculate time spent per day on a task in Excel

I have an Excel spreadsheet. 

I have it autocalulating total time spent on a paricular project.

Further, I have columns for the following:
1. date
2. time spent
3. work completed

I want to be able to figure out how much time I have spent in a particular time frame.  For instance, right now, I want to see how much time I have spent in the last eight days.  Obviously, I can see how much total time I have spent, but my desire is to specify dates and see how much work was put in during that time.

114 Posts

October 16th, 2004 19:00

bump

1.7K Posts

October 16th, 2004 20:00

Jay,

In the Time Spent column, how is this listed? (hours, minutes, both?)

What is in the work completed column and is it necessary for your time spent between two dates?

114 Posts

October 16th, 2004 21:00

Abach,

My time spent is listed in minutes. 

My work completed just has a brief description of the work I did.  For instance, if I read during one particular session, then I would put "read pages 300 - 314." 

If I understand you correctly, it doesn't matter which column is where.  In other words, the "time spent" column can be relocated (as well as all other categories).

Thanks for responding too :smileyhappy:

114 Posts

October 17th, 2004 20:00

bumb

114 Posts

October 19th, 2004 13:00

Essentially, what I want to do is an "if, then" function. 

I want the command to say if column one (date) is 10/1 through 10/18, then "sum" the corresponding cells in column 3 (time spent on that particular activity in minutes).

Therefore, if column one consists of dates begining on 1/1 and ending on 10/18, the only numbers it will calculate are those numbers in column 3 that meet this criteria.

Thanks

1.7K Posts

October 19th, 2004 15:00

I'll put something together in the next few days...

1.7K Posts

October 20th, 2004 23:00

Jay,

I've put together an Excel file with a macro that adds minutes according to a date range. You can right click and download it << here >>

To see the code, just press ALT-F11. You can then change the column and cell references to suit your file. If you need more help, let me know.

114 Posts

October 27th, 2004 00:00

Abach,

You are one heck of a guy.  I just got that macro to work.  It is sweet.  Thank you so much. 

No Events found!