Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 29th, 2009 19:00

Dell Projector 1800MP Lamp light/Power bottom Blinks orange and wont turn on at all!!

Well i bought this projector in christmas of 06 and has been working great till now... i was gonna watch a movie the other night and didnt power on i saw the the Lamp light and power botton was blinking orange i check the manuel and it said it might be a malfuntion of the projector. I gave Dell a call and they where saying it was the bulb the guy didn seem like he really didnt know what he was talking about...he gave me a number to call for out of warrenty dell products...the guy told me it might be the bulb or it might be the projector...(like if i didnt already know that)...i tryed turning it on and nothing turns on the light just blinks...Has anyone have this problem and tryed changing the bulb?... I dont want to buy a new bulb and it turns out to be the projector?...can anyone help?... 

4 Posts

January 15th, 2010 15:00

Can someone post a picture of the cap in question? There are several boards in the unit and not sure I am looking at the right place...  thanks.

6 Posts

January 15th, 2010 16:00

I don't have a picture but it's easy to find.

This is the largest capacitor on the Power board, near the far end of the board, away from the plug.

This board you want is the power supply board, that the 110 V power cord plugs into.  This is the bottom board in the stack.  This board is slipped into a metal casing which you have to remove.  It's just a bit tricky to get out.  I had to clip a cable tie to do so.

4 Posts

January 18th, 2010 06:00

Ah, that helps a lot. Thank you.  I was able to take out the metal casing.  Now, I need to somehow remove the top board to get access to the bottom one.  The top one seems to be clipped in on the four corners - i don't see any screws.  What's the best way to remove the top board? 

4 Posts

January 18th, 2010 15:00

I was able to squeeze the plastic clips on the 4 corners using needle pliers and pull each corner of the top board up and out.  After that it was easy to unscrew the bottom board and slide it out.  Now to desoldering the chubby cap.... :) 

Ps: do I just get the replacement cap in radio shack or you have a link for the replacement by any chance?

1 Message

January 22nd, 2010 11:00

A Dell ATX  power supply, e.g., from a GX240 or GX260 tower has a 3300mfd 10volt capacitor. It's a 13mm diameter x 30mm high cap, that's slightly taller than the one that was in my 1800MP, but it fits perfectly.There's also a couple of 3300mfd 16volt caps that are the same dimension in this P/S. I used one of these broken power supplies that had good caps to fix my projector. Thanks srogers573 for the original post.

6 Posts

January 22nd, 2010 11:00

That's great but if a Dell-supplied 10V capacitor fails in this power supply, I wouldn't cannibalize another power supply to replace it with the same part.  Better to spend a dollar or two for a new 16V cap.

4 Posts

January 26th, 2010 14:00

I found 3300uf 10V at mouser.com and got it the next day. Replaced the old cap and viola it's alive again.  thanks for the original post.

Ps: had to get a 40W soldering iron to get the old cap out - even then it was not melting all the way properly. 

2 Posts

February 9th, 2010 15:00

Hey srogers573!

Do you have a wish list on Amazon?  Let me know because you just save my dinky little non-profit org well over $4k in having to replace these "broken" projectors.  Thank you!

For those who can't seem to find the part locally, you can order it from Mouser Electronics. Part number 647-UVY1A332MHD.  $0.81 each!

I have a few more projectors to go.  I'll take pix of the break down and replacement later today.

1 Message

February 10th, 2010 20:00

srogers573, you're a life saver! Our church had an 1800MP projector with the same symptoms. My first inclination was the expensive lamp, but after a friend pointed out your post I tore it down to look at the 3300 uF, 10 V capacitor on the power supply board. Lo and behold the top was bulged ever so slightly - not ruptured. I probably wouldn't have noticed it if I hadn't been looking for it. I pulled the cap and it measured 450 uF. I installed a new cap today (Nichicon UHE1A332MHD, $0.67 from Digikey) and now the projector works like a champ! It was a bear to unsolder and solder - there must be power planes on that board without thermal relief pads, and the holes are marginally large enough for the leads which doesn't help.

Thanks so much for sharing your findings. You saved us mucho bucks!

4 Posts

February 13th, 2010 12:00

I faced the same issue this week...My projector was 2 years old and I suddenly got the amber lamp of death...After reading all your posts about that faulty capacitor, I decided to give it a try. The projector is very hard to dissemble.  Lots of screws (be sure to remove VGA-A hex screws to be able to open the cover) and connectors. Take pictures, that's an advice. I easily located the faulty cap. Mine was not so bulged but is giving me bad mesurement. So I replaced it with a 3300uF 16V (to be sure not replace it in 2 years). After replacing all the parts, cleaned the fan, I was ready for the test....My god, srogers573 was right. My Dell 1800MP is working again !!! :emotion-1: Take a look at the faulty golden 3300 cap.

4 Posts

February 17th, 2010 08:00

I just bought it at a local electronic store for a big 0.39 cents

6 Posts

where did you order the cap?

6 Posts

Can you get me information? Where do we purchase the capacitor or the serice? I have 16 of these all with the same problem.

6 Posts

WOW I am going to try this? Where dd you get the capacitor?

6 Posts

is it a Leaded or SMD capacitors.

No Events found!