Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 21st, 2014 10:00

EMC E10-001 Exam

Hi All-

I am currently prepping for the EMC E10-001 Exam, and I am curious what materials others used to prep for this.  I have utilized the practice exam along with the VILT for Information Storage and Management V2.  I have also been working with storage for the last couple of years, but I have never taken an EMC exam or any other certification before.  I just want to make sure I have my bases covered before taking this.

Any insight on additional materials to use would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

Ben

15 Posts

July 22nd, 2014 05:00

Hi Ben,

It sounds like you're using the right materials. If you're also thinking about study practices, I can tell you what worked for me. I met with a study group weekly over a period of time, where we each had studied a portion of the ISMv2 materials independently for the week, and brought up questions to each other when we met.

When there was a question we couldn't answer among ourselves, one of us would reach out to someone more experienced. This was interesting, since when we brought up these questions, even the person explaining the answer often got something out of the discussion. I also used flashcards, and would challenge myself to draw diagrams of different storage environments without the course materials available.

Hope that helps!

Caroline

4 Posts

July 23rd, 2014 06:00

Thank you for the great advice Caroline!  Do you know what the passing score is for this test?  I haven't been able to find this information on EMC's or Pearson Vue's websites.

Ben

1 Rookie

• 

68 Posts

July 23rd, 2014 08:00

ISMv2 is not that hard - I used the VILT, printed the study material - read this pdfs, used the practice tests and then passed with my first try,

15 Posts

July 23rd, 2014 12:00

Hi Ben,

Glad I could help! From what I remember, Patric's estimate sounds correct.

Having the study group is good, because even after you pass the test, you have people to help deepen your knowledge.

Cheers,

Caroline

408 Posts

July 31st, 2014 07:00

Congratulations bkorman4!!

4 Posts

Update: I successfully passed the exam this morning!  Thank you for all of the study suggestions.  I ended up utilizing the VILT for ISMv2, PDFs associated with the VILT material, and the EMC practice test to study.

2 Intern

• 

633 Posts

Congratulations! What great news, and thanks so much for sharing your study tips.

25 Posts

August 4th, 2014 02:00

I did the E10-001 exam on Friday and passed.

I had previously passed the SNIA SGO-001 exam for SNIA Certified Storage Professional and found (as I expected)  there was a great overlap between the knowledge needed for both exams.  Though I have to say the EMC E10-001 exam is certainly more current and up-to-date and therefor feels more relevant. And of course it is EMC-oriented, so I would advise to take special care in learning the terminology that EMC employs specifically for certain technologies or techniques, as they may differ from other vendors.

Also make sure you are familiar with EMC's complete storage product line, I had several questions that touched on that specifically.  And make sure you practice storage-calculation scenarios. You -will- need the available calculator.

As for study material, my main go-to was the official EMC education book "Information Storage and Management: Storing, Managing, and Protecting Digital Information in Classic, Virtualized, and Cloud Environments" (amazon link) ( ISBN 9781118094839 )

It really is quite excellent and I would recommend it to anyone as a basic introductory to modern storage technology. Many of the topics in this book came back in the exam almost literally, it was certainly written as the main study material for E10-001. You can get it as physical book or kindle ebook.

Another good source is Pluralsight (formally: Trainsignal) video series "EMC Storage Essentials" (link) and has been produced specifically for the E10-001 exam.

And of course as mentioned before, the 60-question practice exam on the EMC education site is more or less essential to try.

Personally, I did not find E10-001 all that hard. I did not get to study as much as I had wished, and only got through about half the book before I did the exam. Similarly, due to time constraints, I did not actually do the practice questions. Despite all this I passed, but not with a score I was particularly happy with!

No Events found!