Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

NT

February 8th, 2018 12:00

Foreign secured SED drives cannot be cleared

Hi!

My R720xd had a PERC H710p mini which got broken and shows no longer any drive. So I replaced it with a H310 and the drives are back again. But the drives had been secured with a key on the old controller.

I am not able to reset it on the broken controller which shows not any drive, so I am not able to do this here.

With the H310 on the VD Mgmt page it gives me "... Instant Secure Erase respective SED phyical disks in the PD Mgmt screen to clear foreign configuration". On the PD Mgmt screen it shows me the drives with state "Foreign" but the only available option by pressing F2 is "LED Blinking".

All data can be deleted so I am happy with every hack. :Cool:

Thank you!

311 Posts

February 8th, 2018 14:00

Hi,

Please DM your service tag to me.

The H310 does not support SED and that is why you are not seeing the option. Here is a link to an article to covers importing drives with SED and which controllers support that feature.

http://www.dell.com/support/article/sln164101/security-key-and-raid-management-for-dell-poweredge-h710-h710p-and-h810-raid-controllers?

If they are Seagate drives, Seagate does have a tool called SeaTools which you will allow you to erase the drives. Other vendors may have similar tools, but I am not aware of any.

February 8th, 2018 22:00

Thank you! I will try the SeaTools solution due to the reason that the drives are from Seagate.

Nevertheless I will DM the service tag later the day.

311 Posts

February 12th, 2018 07:00

Hi,

Can you verify company name on the account, please.

Thank you,

311 Posts

February 12th, 2018 09:00

Hi Mark,

I was unable to validate ownership with the information sent. Can you please provide the express service code. If you have acquired the server from a 3rd party, a transfer of ownership will need to be done.

Thanks,

No Events found!