Start a Conversation

Unsolved

H

8 Posts

April 23rd, 2019 02:00

PERC H740P Virtual Disk Reconfigure Option Not Present

Hi,

I am managing a PowerEdge R740 rack server, with a PERC H740p installed. 

I currently have 4 SSD disks installed (out of a possible 8), which have been configured as a RAID10 Virtual Disk. The virtual disk contains a CentOS 7 install. I have recently bought 4 new SSD disks and wish to install them into the server and reconfigure the existing Virtual Disk to add the new SSDs, hence expanding the size of the virtual disk, without losing the CentOS install and data on the existing virtual disk.

In the BIOS and using OpenManage Server Administrator, the "Reconfigure" option is not present for the virtual disk. Why is this?

I experimented with creating a new RAID10 virtual disk using the 4 new SSDs and, after initialisation, that virtual disk CAN be reconfigured.

Is it true that virtual disks that contain an OS install cannot be reconfigured?

I have updated the H740P firmware to the latest version and the reconfigure option is still not present for the existing virtual disk.

PERC H740P Firmware Version 50.5.0-1750

PERC H740P Driver Version 07.702.06.00-rh2

BIOS version 1.3.7

System Management Version 4.0.4.320

CPLD Version 1.01

UEFI Compliance Version 2.5

4 Operator

• 

2.9K Posts

April 23rd, 2019 07:00

Reconfiguring a RAID 10 volume is not a feature that our PERCs support at this time. I'll confirm this by reading into the latest on the H740P, but I would expect you to need to recreate the volume.

4 Operator

• 

2.9K Posts

I had heard that a firmware update had enabled it, but hadn't done it yet to be able to confirm. Since we know its in there, the enablement should have been done. What version of OpenManage is the server running?

8 Posts

As far as I am aware,a firmware update for the H730P enabled reconfiguration of RAID10. For H740P, the functionality has always been there, at least according to the user guide. I am using OpenManage version 9.1.0

8 Posts

Hi Dylan, Thanks for your reply. According to page 22 of the PowerEdge RAID Controller user guide, under the "Reconfiguration of virtual disks" heading, it states that expansion of RAID10 is possible by adding more disks. Also, this video shows it is possible: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyjrAtBvpBU

8 Posts

April 23rd, 2019 08:00

This issue occurs in the BIOS and OpenManage, so I don't think ensuring OpenManage is fully functional will fix my issue. Also, I installed OpenManage today, so it is unlikely that it is facing issues already

4 Operator

• 

2.9K Posts

I just used a test R840 and was able to reconfigure the RAID10 I created on its H740P. Setting OMSA aside, I would double check the BIOS, iDRAC, and PERC firmware. Provided everything is on the latest, the next thing you could try is a power drain, since based on your description, I can't see any reason for this operation to refuse to run.

4 Operator

• 

2.9K Posts

Thats a fairly new and up to date version of OpenManage, so the version should be fine. You might check the iDRAC version, since OpenManage just gets most of it's information through it. If that doesn't work, try restarting the 4 DSM services. These are the services that power OpenManage and restarting them fixes a lot of OMSA behaviors.

8 Posts

April 23rd, 2019 11:00

Many thanks for testing it out.

When you reconfigured the virtual disk, did it contain an operating system, e.g CentOS?

I will try updating the firmware, BIOS, driver etc. I will then try a power drain.

4 Operator

• 

2.9K Posts

April 23rd, 2019 12:00

It didn't. The presence of an OS shouldn't be a problem, but partitions in the filesystem can be sometimes. The most common issue I see with people that want to expand an array, but can't is that the array is sliced. Byt this I mean that at least 1 of the disks in array X is in another array, at the same time.

8 Posts

April 23rd, 2019 13:00

I see. A default CentOS install is inherently partitioned, e.g the boot partition, swap partition etc. Perhaps this is the issue?

Also, if I eventually get the reconfiguration working, will that result in data loss from the existing virtual disk?

4 Operator

• 

2.9K Posts

April 23rd, 2019 15:00

When i say that the file systems can sometimes be problems, I more so mean the expansion of an existing file system into the additional raw space. Most of the time, it's when someone is on a Windows box and using MBR, trying to extend an extended partition into raw space was something Windows didn't like.

As for data loss, you shouldn't experience any. We always recommend to people to check their backups before messing with a RAID volume though, in the unlikely event that things go sideways.

8 Posts

April 24th, 2019 02:00

I have updated the BIOS and CPLD to the latest versions and sadly the "reconfigure" option is still not present.

I am going to try to copy the contents of the original virtual disk to the new one (that i mentioned in my original post) and see if the reconfiguration option is still present after doing so.

1 Message

August 10th, 2024 10:37

Having the same problem.  Latest firmware, drivers, bios.  I'm trying to add a drive to an existing raid-6 array.  I do not see the reconfigure option reference in this guide.  https://www.dell.com/support/kbdoc/en-us/000116592/how-reconfigure-a-virtual-disk-or-add-additional-hard-drives

• 

4.1K Posts

August 12th, 2024 01:17

Hello, in order to help yo further could you give us more information on
Server model, 
BIOS/PERC versions 
how many drives in raid 6 
and 
model or p/n of the existing drives and ones you added 
Respectfully,

No Events found!